Appreciation: Cherries that look like real trees

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by wcutler, Apr 14, 2014.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@Ron B, thanks for the comment. I've set a reminder to try to go visit that tree.

2. wcutler

Who ever thought I'd be posting an 'Okame' tree in this thread, but this one posted by @Willard in the Sunshine Coast / Gulf Islands thread looks beautiful.[​IMG]

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Do these ones count?...

They are around a square next to the primary school my kids attended. They're obviously grafted so I thought they might be a kind of cultivar, but the flowers look like P. pissardii. I took a close-up of the flowers, but when I got home I saw the photo was blurred. There are so many around at the moment, maybe they grafted them high so they could have a straight trunk and "look like real trees", most of the P. pissardii around have several trunks starting from low down.

Pruns-LaChap_220312a.jpg

This other one is probably more what fits in this thread. It's a beautiful weeping Prunus that I've admired for years. I hope that when they pull down the building they'll save the tree. I went to a plant fair this afternoon, many of the professionals there had "kojo no mai'. The flowers are white, but very similar in shape to this one :

Pruns-LaChap_220312b.jpg Pruns-LaChap_220312c.jpg Pruns-LaChap_220312d.jpg

And not "a tree" (yet), but this Prunus 'Accolade' is from a root cutting :

prunus02b_220312a.jpg prunus02b_220312b.jpg

4. wcutler

The 'Beni-shidare' counts. The plum and wisps of cherries are not quite what I'm after in this thread. :)
    I thought there was a thread somewhere for Not-in-Vancouver cherries, but I can't find it. You're welcome to do a thread to show off Cherries in France under (1) Ornamental Cherries | UBC Botanical Garden Forums.

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for the name, I didn't know what it was.

OK, I'll do that, thanks for the suggestion.

6. wcutler

I have a new favourite 'Akebono', at 3261 W 5th in the Vancouver Kitsilano neighbourhood, found by @RaphGenf but my photos. I wondered in the posting about such an old ungrafted 'Akebono', but I see there are a couple shown in this thread, so it's possible. It doesn't have the shape of the old 'Somei-yoshino' trees shown here, and we've seen in this thread that 'Akebono' blossoms turn very white before they age to pink, and this shape is characteristic. We'll try to confirm this ID next year.
    [​IMG]

RaphGenf likes this.
  7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Akebono' ages pink?

8. wcutler

It would be easier if I could say that 'Akebono' age to white and stay that way, and 'Somei-yoshino' age pink (I'm sure the second clause is true). People don't post many of these trees past their prime, but here are the 'Somei-yoshino' two blocks from me and one that I posted at Kits Beach on Arbutus Street.
    Somei-yosino_PendrellGilford_Cutler_20230407_145746.jpg Somei-yoshino_KitsBeach-at-Arbutus_Cutler_20230415_143820.jpg

Here is a cropped photo of the 'Akebono' trees from a block away along Cornwall at Kits Beach, pink to me from a distance. And a screenshot from a video of 'Akebono' taken by @Willard. These were both past their prime when photographed.
    Akebono_KitsBeach_Cutler_20230415_145513-cropped.jpg Akebono screenshot_Willard_2023-04-18_18-22-50.jpg
    The four-second video is at (18) Cypress Way Akebono Shirley Willard - YouTube. If you blink, you'll be on to the next video.

9. wcutler

Well, maybe it's the lingering red calyces that make the 'Akebono' trees appear pinkish. It's true that the individual petals I'm seeing on the ground now are white.

10. wcutler

This 'Akebono' that @Taka found growing in a yard in Kerrisdale has all the space it wants to stretch out. It's interesting how well it has done in that raised setting.
    [​IMG]

tknd likes this.