Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Still just creeping along here, though I keep expecting the warm weather to kick everything into high gear. I think it's still very dry for the new plantings, which is probably delaying a bit. Also we had a few nights of freeze, which did no good to many that had already started along; luckily the JM-types are pretty resistant, but it did bring them to a full stop. Anyway over the last few days I took some snaps, here they are.

BTW, I have 'Tsuma gaki' in a pot, only made it to 7.5l since 2016, so quite an unhealthy plant although I noted it had a good root in 2019. I noticed a few days ago it has a strange bulbous root flare on one side, not sure what that's about but will take a closer look when I replant in June. It seems to just shrivel in the sun, so I've had to keep it on the shade table so far; will try a little more this year. It hasn't leafed out yet, but it does seem to be on track with many of the JMs. @Luke’s Maples show us a picture in a few weeks, I'm not too sure about that one... :)

'Shigitatsu sawa' is a great one for interesting seedlings. IIRC the Ghost series came from it, I had some nice reticulated seedlings from it at one time or another.
    IMG_20200326_165254.jpg
    A. pycnanthum fruit developing
    IMG_20200404_120502.jpg
    A. negundo, full out
    IMG_20200405_160109.jpg
    A. oliverianum 'Nakahara beni' looking for some light
    IMG_20200405_172426.jpg
    A. pseudoplatanus 'Nizetii' just starting
    IMG_20200406_123630.jpg
    'Higasa Yama' at the pointillist phase
    IMG_20200406_170621.jpg
    A. pseudoplatanus 'Esk Sunset' getting started
    IMG_20200406_170744.jpg
    A. tegmentosum
    IMG_20200406_170820.jpg
    A. aff. paxii (this is what Alain has as A. discolor). I have a few of these, but also now a different plant without the lobes from Italy. Will post when it leafs out.
    IMG_20200406_171130.jpg
    A red barked evaluation JM, from afar
    IMG_20200406_171159.jpg
    The same, new leaves close up
    IMG_20200406_171818.jpg
    A. negundo 'Auratum'
    IMG_20200406_172159.jpg
    A. cordatum just getting under way, was not bothered by frost
    IMG_20200406_172236.jpg
    First flowers out on A. diabolicum
    IMG_20200406_172342.jpg IMG_20200406_172424.jpg
    The fascinating A. tsinglingense
    IMG_20200406_172514.jpg
    A. sterculiaceum (Nagaland), very frost sensitive but now coming back
    IMG_20200406_172701.jpg
    A. argutum starting into flower
    IMG_20200406_172816.jpg
    A. japonicum 'Blushing Beauty', had injury added to insult: badly beat up by the frost, then munched by a deer. Blushing anyway!

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Emery, 'Wonderful'. Nothing more to add.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  3. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

'Sango Kaku', lurid after a spring shower 4 days ago and a spash of sunlight today.
    04.03.20 09.29 AM.jpg 04.07.20 08.42 AM1.jpg

'Seiryu' opens up
    04.06.20 05.58 PM.jpg 04.06.20 05.55 PM.jpg

ROEBUK, dicky5ash, emery and 2 others like this.
  4. Acerholic

Hi wind-borne, welcome to Cheering ourselves up. Lovely photos, your fiirst photo of Sango kaku is very special, such vivid colours of leaf and flowers.
    Great to hear from the Oregon Coast. Thankyou.

5. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

6. dicky5ash

Wonderful pics you have both posted.

I don’t know about you guys, but I find the “on their way out” features every bit, if not more attractive:
    J.Shirasawanum
    J.Moonrise
    J. Jordan

the subtle colours on the Moonrise are surreal

Attached Files:

AlainK, emery, ROEBUK and 1 other person like this.
  7. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, your right and, your first picture 'Shirasawanum' shows new life just starting beautifully. These are three maples that should be in everyone's collection. Great photography btw. Enjoyed them a lot, Thanks.

dicky5ash likes this.
  8. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I love those dicky5ash. My Jordan is really standing out. Here are some pics I took this afternoon.

Jordan
    Olsen's frosted strawberry
    Shigatatsu sawa
    Villa taranto
    Aureum
    Shishigashira
    Butterfly
    Orange dream
    Mikazuki
    Mikawa yatsubusa
    Amber ghost
    Purple ghost

Attached Files:

AlainK, emery, ROEBUK and 1 other person like this.
  9. Acerholic

Hi Luke, you and dicky5ash are posting some wonderful photos. That's a great assortment you have there. If you haven't had Amber and Purple ghost for long then you are in for a real treat through Spring , Summer and Autum. Jordan is glowing, it's my wife's favourite photo of the group. Thanks for posting them.

10. dicky5ash

Suberb pics Luke, your Jordan is well ahead of mine..only one little leaf so far...but it’s on its way..

This super warm week has moved everything along massively. Slight frost Monday night but it looks like I got away with it..

11. dicky5ash

I moved some of my japonicum out to full sun spots this week to bring them along..I think I’ll move them back now to the semi shade spots..otherwise I’m taking risks

12. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, yes we go from one extreme to another. April is such a fickle month! I've done exactly the same as you due to temperatures the next few days in the twenties.
    I hope to post some more pics of mine tomorrow as they are progressing now, at last !!!!

13. Acer1972

Acer1972 Member

Twisted spider Twisted Spider.jpg Ikandi Ikandi.jpg Beni schichihenge Beni schichihenge.jpg

14. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I’ve used 6 Betula Jacquemontii to provide shade, it’s an ideal tree, dappled shade, grown them as full standards so plenty of room under. They don’t leaf out early, and winter bark glows and adds interest. They grow fairly quickly as well and make a beautiful looking tree.

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Hi Jaybee63, we use Betula Snow Queen x 4, Cherry x2 , Beech x 2, White beam x1, 7 x various fir trees, plus laurel around north and south sides and laylandi to the west.
    Most people want lots of sun in their gardens but maple growers are a different breed.
    I agree about the beauty of the Betula trees and would reccomend them to all maple enthusiasts.

16. Luke’s Maples

Hi. This is really interesting stuff. Blocking out the sun will be even harder to justify than buying maples.. my wife does love the sun. I think if I get the positioning right I can protect them and leave the patio unshaded. Does anyone have any pics of their garden setup? I could sure use some inspiration.

17. Luke’s Maples

Acer1972 likes this.
  18. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Some pictures taken today. The yellow one is a 'Summer Gold'

Attached Files:

19. dicky5ash

Beautiful photos...the summer gold is amazing..

I wonder how I could get my hands on a twisted spider and Emmets pumpkin, never seen these two in the U.K.

20. Acer1972

Acer1972 Member

I got mine from Topiary Gardens. Not sure if they will ship across the pond. Here's a pic today. DSCF0888.JPG

21. Acerholic

Hi Acer 1972, What a lovely shape twisted spider. Yes it's another great maple you cant get in the UK. Big thanks to you for sharing from across the pond.

22. Acerholic

Hi Gomero, lovely photos in the sun in South West France. Summer Gold looks stunning in the sunshine. Is that Katsura in the first? Thankyou for sharing.

dicky5ash likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Hi everyone, here's a photo taken just as the sun came up this morning:- in the foreground Red Flash, then Going Green and at the back Katsura. The trees are now getting their leaves.

Attached Files:

dicky5ash and AlainK like this.
  24. Luke’s Maples

Lovely. My Going green is fluorescent. It's only small but really stands out. It's going to be warm today. Low 20's. I'm off out in a few mins to have a shuffle around to make sure they dont get scrorched. I never thought this would be an issue In early April. Strange.

dicky5ash likes this.
  25. Acerholic

Hi Luke, yes agreed, very strange the seasons now. Cold again start of next week, May will settle it all down. Anyway at least through these difficult times we have a garden. Trying to be positive and as the great Monty Python Life of Brian song goes 'ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE'. Great song to have in your head I think on a lovely Spring morning in the garden.