Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Wonderful Luke, the weather forecast looks ok. Expecting some photos on the thread later then. Do hope you and your family have a lovely day. Will be thinking about you tomorrow.

2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Thanks D. Perhaps when things return to some sort of normality we could arrange a little group meet up there?! I think that would be really cool don’t you?

3. Acerholic

Totally agree, I'm loving this forum for that reason, people are giving history good or bad with disasters and more importantly SUCESSES.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  4. Luke’s Maples

Hey D, nearly up to 100 pages in this thread. That’s pretty awesome!

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Yes that would be nice Luke. Normality hmmm when's the vaccine !!? Lol.

6. Luke’s Maples

Early start tomorrow so I’m off to bed. Nice chatting with you all. Night.

7. Acerholic

Yes nearly there, so many are enjoying it, can't believe all the PM's I've been receiving about it. Importantly from all over the world. So very many have contributed. 'All brilliant'.

8. Acerholic

You too have a wonderful time. Nite nite.

9. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

There you go Lionheart with the X knew it was somewhere, very nice upright dissectum. Plus my Red dragon from spring this year very strong grower by the way.

Attached Files:

Margot, AlainK, monicasanchez and 4 others like this.
  10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

C'mon now guys, it is against UBC policy to use the forum for anything commercial like buying and selling.

However we could use the private Maple Society part for that if anyone wanted.

That said there's nothing to stop anyone from saying "I'm getting rid of some of my maples, PM me if you're interested" on a thread like this one. The policy is really just to stop spam, as is seen on FB sometimes.

Back to Mel Brooks, we actually own Young Frankenstein and Spaceballs on DVD, such great stuff. We tried to watch Blazing Saddles with the kids when they were teenagers, and they didn't get any of it. I think it was too subtle. :) -E

AlainK likes this.
  11. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sorry wasn't actually trying to sell any one any maples any where on this site , i am well aware of the rules , someone just asked me a simple question on how i thinned out excess trees end of conversation.

12. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Nobody expects SPAM!

This thread has really degenerated...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    AlainK likes this.
  13. Luke’s Maples

Good morning everyone. Well it looks like my ‘question’ regarding whether people have thought about a buying and selling thread has caused some upset. What a shame. It really was just an innocent question. I just figured it was the kind of question I could ask on this forum, full of wonderful and selfless maple lovers.

I hope everyone has a lovely day. The wind has calmed here in Oxford so I can relax a little.

off to Westonbirt now!

14. Acerholic

Hey Luke you have upset nobody, especially with me. It was a legitimate question to ask. If you don't ask you don't know. The people who just go ahead without asking cause upset.
    The sun is shining the wind has eased. Have a great family day out Luke. Lots of photos ??????

15. Acerholic

Good morning J, but it has cheered us all up !!!!!
    Back to maples today and definitely no spam lol.

16. Acerholic

Beautiful trees M, I see in photo 2 you have a good hedge for wind protection. Lots more planting of these if the climate changes as is expected.

17. Acerholic

Agreed M, totally innocent comments and question. Hope it's calmer up north today, seems a little better here. Off to do damage inspection now. Will try and find something that hasn't been beaten up to photo. Maybe one or two !!!!

18. Luke’s Maples

Guess where? Lol

Attached Files:

zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

Well it feels like the weekend was like the film the day after tomorrow, but not a complete disaster, although my Jordan has taken a real hammering. An early Autumn leaf drop is expected with this one.

Anyway last night was a real Brits night on the thread, so these photos just taken this morning, are for our US and European friends to say 'Sorry' for going on about a bit of wind; we Brits and the weather eh!!!lol.
    The first one is Amagi Shigure and not Shidare and Geish is Geisha sorry.

Attached Files:

Margot, AlainK, monicasanchez and 5 others like this.
  20. Acerholic

Hmmm can't guess Lol.

21. Acerholic

Looks like you have the place to yourself. So peaceful!!!

22. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Not to worry Mark, I know that. And as I said, there's nothing wrong with thinning to forum members :) either.

Hey guys, I wasn't upset in the least. It seems like I come off as being "PO'd", sorry! Must be my natural tact (which like all of my family I have very little; we're famous for it).

Spam, spam, spam, spam. We used to get some sometimes, haven't seen any in a while. And I don't mean in the kitchen, although I did eat spam, egg and spam a few times as a child. We also used to get a horrible yet strangely delicious gray loaf called "scrapple": everything but the oink, fry it up!

I wish we'd gotten some rain, we got plenty of wind, but it is getting dry as again. Beautiful day today though.

Here is 'Arakawa' a little fried in the sun but pretty none the less.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Ahhh tact and diplomacy, kept me safe for 30 years. But I received training for this for first 20 years of my career so it helps. If it's not in your make up, it's so very hard to change.

Back to maples, lovely Arakawa Emery, very colourful, all getting a little fried now especially after the drying wind.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  24. Acerholic

As it's important to show what is nice in our gardens atm. It is also important to show what 4 days of strong drying winds can do.
    This is Manyo no sato and Jordan moments ago. As I said earlier they really took a battering.
    As I speak, the wind is getting up again. No I won't moan, lol

Attached Files:

AlainK and monicasanchez like this.
  25. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

How about the sun and high temperatures hold the
    Amagi Shidare