Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Welcoming two new lovely cultivars into my home that I received last week, Acer palmatum 'Firefly' and Acer oliverianum 'Hot Blonde'.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, Nik, AlainK and 4 others like this.
  2. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hi guys, how is everything?

It amazes me and I love to see maples growing in a milder climate than the Mediterranean. Those colors, that health ... I wish we could enjoy something like this in these lands!

We have already had a maximum of 34 degrees Celsius around here and at night it begins to be rare the day it drops below 20 degrees Celsius. Lots of heat and humidity, but no rain...

By the way, how about summer?
    Does anyone have and want to show Acer sempervirens? It is native to Crete, I believe, and is one of the few evergreen or semi-evergreen maples.

If anyone knows where they sell seeds, please let them know :)

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening M, I'm just back after power cuts all afternoon, urghhh.
    Yes my wife and I do love Ukigumo and your photos today and this evening do not disappoint.
    Re Orange Dream and Katsura, they do well in my garden, you just never know do you and tbh aren't we all gluttons for punishment. 3 strikes and out or maybe 4 or 5 lol.

4. Acerholic

Good evening D, dont know whether to smile or cry. So jealous, lol. They do look wonderful. Matt and Tim have really looked after you there.
    Keep us all posted over the coming years with photos and info please.
    I will look forward to seeing them grow.
    From your envious friend over the pond.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Good evening Monica, you are probably so used to the heat, I would just melt. This is the very dry season for you now I know, so do hope you are managing to keep your maples in water. I think we would be all interested to see photos of yours in July and August, no matter what their condition.
    I for one am really enjoying your input on this thread and hope you are getting something out of it also.
    Re the Acer semperviren seeds I see that world seeds online are also looking for some, so they are in short supply.
    Perhaps create a thread of your own asking for some? You never know!!
    Do enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'm sure we will all put lots more photos on during July for you. I will.

monicasanchez likes this.
  6. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Slight amount of rain this morning, enough for some drops to gather on the leaves.
    Hubbs Red Willow
    DSCN0933.jpg DSCN0954.jpg
    DSCN0986.jpg

Dim sunlight washes over one Hubbs a few minutes before the other this morning.
    DSCN1019.jpg

sun, Nik, AlainK and 6 others like this.
  7. Acerholic

Good evening G, if that's the last for today, then what a great way to end it. Some wonderful photos today all round.
    The linearlobiums look so sad in the rain, but cheerful all at once. Your Hubbs is a delight.

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A beautiful day here, just getting dark as we head towards 10pm, exhausted from a full day of hard graft in the garden with help from a couple of whirlwind neighbors, progress!

Catching up on the thread, @monicasanchez we do have a couple of A. sempervirens. One is grafted and grew very slowly for 7 years before being planted last year. Seems to be doing OK but not established yet. The other is a small plant that came to me last year, from Cretan seed. It is only in a 2l pot but put on quite a lot of root since last year, seems to be doing better that the grafted ones. They do grow very slowly though. I'll try to take some pictures of them tomorrow. As is the case with many of the "evergreen" maples, the Cretan maple drops its leaves here. Our dendrologist at the maple society has told me that holding on to leaves or not, is really not a good identifying characteristic (in relation to the "evergreen" A. paxii); here even A. obtusifolium loses most of its leaves, though it seems completely evergreen for everyone else!

cheers, -E

monicasanchez likes this.
  9. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hi!

Yes, it is curious how the climate is able to modify a little the behavior of the plants.

Looking forward to seeing those images of Acer sempervirens I am, Emery hehe

In a few days I'll take a vacation and upload more photos. Some maples are a little bad.

Despite being under the shade mesh, the light that reaches them is too intense. But without a doubt, if those images can be useful or interesting, they will be uploaded hehe :) Fortunately, not everyone is wrong.

Experimenting is very interesting, but if the weather is too cold or too warm, it is challenging.

Cheers!

emery likes this.
  10. LoverOfMaples

Up potted some of my dissectum seedlings this morning. Hoping they continue to do well.
    3rd pic is of a seedling with interesting growth habit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    zfrittz, Mani, Nik and 5 others like this.
  11. Acerholic

Good evening D, seedlings always make me happy, always feels so rewarding potting them up. Yes, that is some very interesting growth. Do you know the parent?

12. LoverOfMaples

Good evening D. Seeds collected from ssp. palmatum. I was doing a search and found another jm call 'Lantern'. But the leaves on that one pretty much close like a japanese lantern.

I'm glad you enjoy the seedlings.

13. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

First time I try to propagate acer from seeds after watching a video on Youtube.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Nik, AlainK and 2 others like this.
  14. Acerholic

Good morning D, very much enjoying thanks. The Japanese Lantern is so different, it bares resemblance to a nut tree IMO, quite an interesting variety from Mr Maple. Is it on your list ? Lol
    Have a good week D.

15. Acerholic

Good morning P, they are looking good, do give them a lot of protection in July and August heat. I will enjoy seeing them progress on this thread over the next couple of years. You just never know what you might get. Do you know the parent name btw?

16. LoverOfMaples

Gm D. Lol. Yes, its on the list.

17. Acerholic

Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear!, LOL.

18. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

For @monicasanchez here are the two A. sempervirens. First the grafted plant: purchased in 2012 as a 3l, planted in 2019. It has always struggled, I hope it will do better in the ground, and it does seem to be. I have the condition listed as "fair" which is probably as high as it has ever been! For scale, the grid on the fencing is 10 x 10 cm.

IMG_20200629_182345_1.jpg IMG_20200629_182418_1.jpg IMG_20200629_182457_1.jpg

Here is the little seedling, it was given (well, traded!) to us last year, so it might be as much as 3 years old. In a 2l pot, the € for scale. It's a nice maple, the new leaves are really tiny.

IMG_20200629_183549_1.jpg IMG_20200629_183427_1.jpg IMG_20200629_183612_1.jpg

-E

19. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

I agree, they have been kept out of the sun most of the time. I will post a photo of them if they survive this winter. I have the parent plant for over ten years, if my memory serves me well then I think it came with a general name Acer palmatum dissectum.
    P

20. Acerholic

Good evening P, it is a tough variety, mine is 42 years old today and still going strong. Here it is Sumner and Autumn lighting up our garden.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, monicasanchez, Nik and 2 others like this.
  21. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Good evening D, your acer is very nice especially the autumn colour.
    P

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

Thankyou P.

23. LoverOfMaples

Quick shot of Beni Otake this evening.

Attached Files:

sun, zfrittz, monicasanchez and 5 others like this.
  24. Acerholic

Good morning D, that's a very healthy Otake. You're getting a lot of new growth, must be very happy.

25. Acerholic

I've just taken a few with subtle colours. Just started to pour down with rain, so stopped for a coffee, maybe two looking at the sky. The last one for @Mani , my 'Ornatum' that we were speaking about yesterday, the Portland Japanese Garden maple.

Attached Files: