Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

'Hana Matoi'. I double-checked, checked the name this time ! ;0)

acerp-hanamatoi_200606b.jpg

It's in half-shade, getting the sun in the morning, and in the shade until 2PM or so. As I said before, on this one, the colours show a pink variegation after a few weeks. Now, it looks so pretty...

Nik, zfrittz, monicasanchez and 3 others like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@AlainK, agreed, 'very pretty' indeed Alain. This one improves with age, I wish I did, lol.

D

AlainK likes this.
  3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

hi Dangerine49 what cultivar is the palmatum before the two green reticulated photos, silver colour, is that a ghost of some kind?

4. dicky5ash

haha..we are all so weak willed! I have never seen Starfish for sale here in a regular nursery..very nice

AlainK likes this.
  5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

@AlainK no problem.

@Acerholic, Hi D, I'm glad you are enjoying the pics. Btw, the first week back was great. I have to charge my sleep schedule back to the working world time though. The heat (about 85 degrees today) has come and the maples are loving it. They are bursting out with new growth.

AlainK likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Hi @dicky5ash, 'hope you don't mind', but can I take a guess at these as tbh I'm pretty bad at guessing cultivars and I would like to hear what J says they are. I bet I'm wrong again lol.
    These are my guesses Peaches and cream and White Peaches. These are mine.

D
    Btw torrential rain here, how about you ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    zfrittz, Nik, dicky5ash and 2 others like this.
  7. AlainK

We had "torrential rain" last weekend, then wind and showers of rain for several days.

Today was dry, gusts of wind for one hour, then, calm weather until a new windy episode of 40-50km/hr winds.

Fortunately, no hail storm here so far.

8. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

9. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Sorry for being lazy and neglecting to label my pics lately.

I don't have any Ghosts...yet. Although I do want to get one or two. Still considering which ones.

So that pic was Ariadne before the Peaches and Cream. Ariadne coloration is way different this year than last.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Nik, monicasanchez and 2 others like this.
  10. Acerholic

Hi G , Your Ariadne is so different to mine, amazing !!! Your Peaches and cream is so like my White Peaches. Different continents and environments makes for interesting variations.

D

D

11. dicky5ash

thanks for confirming, I only posted some photos of mine on Fridays, that being the case you would have thought I’d have recognised it..as AH says yours looked quite different to ours.. very nice colouration

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Well we've had Spring, Summer, Autumn and now Summer again here all in the matter of 4 days. So weired !!
    Lots of overnight rain so took these first thing this morning. I have added both my Shigitatsu Sawa's, for @SLR2009. That's Beni and just Shigitatsu Sawa. I don't have AKA.
    My Autroporpureum had the sun shining right through it. I was so pleased.
    I've done a couple of maples twice from different angles, as I thought they were looking nice.
    My Orange Dream is the best it's ever looked, I just keep going back to take a look.
    Westonbirt Orange is really turning now , showing why it's called what it is.
    And Reticulatum Purple, is possibly my winner in my garden this year 'so far'.

D

Attached Files:

sun, Nik, AlainK and 6 others like this.
  13. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hello!

Little maples waiting for the rain, which seems to be falling soon.

Common Palmatum (or so I think), Beni Maiko, the palmatum "bonsai project", and to his left Seyriu.

20200607_153018.jpg

20200607_153200.jpg

20200607_153311.jpg

Nik, AlainK, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  14. Acerholic

Hi Monica, Summer rain, it smells so lovely IMO. I like the shading you have put up to protect your trees, it's essential especially for the heat you have there.
    Your maples look so very healthy, you are to be congratulated. You are looking after them really well and under difficult conditions. It should give inspiration to new maple growers who are guests to this forum, that anything is possible.

I do love the greens, as there are so many different shades and they give such a wonderful show in a few months time. But Summer first !!!!

Thanks Monica

D

monicasanchez likes this.
  15. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Thank you very much Acerholic.

Yes, under the shade mesh for now they grow well. When they grow older, I don't know what I'll do haha
    The green leafy palmatum varieties seem to do best in slightly warmer climates. The shirasawanum, on the other hand, does not hold, and even the palmatum "Aureum" has many problems.

But hey. Those who do adapt in the end manage to grow well, so as we say in Spain: something is something. :)

It will finnally rain.

20200607_160948.jpg

16. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Not just different continents but different years. I found a few shots of the Ariadne and P&C from last year. even my Autumn Moons had more orange last year. This year everything seems to be more green. Not complaining though! JM's are like a box of chocolates...

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK, monicasanchez and 4 others like this.
  17. Acerholic

@dangerine49, good evening J, now that's more like mine. I think that's one of the reasons we love our Japanese maples so much, it's because each year they surprise us.

Lovely golden photos J.

D

18. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

After a few days with temperatures up to 35º C (95 ° F) today it has rained a little, and it has been very good for them.

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK, monicasanchez and 2 others like this.
  19. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

At least you don't golf like my husband . . . a much more expensive hobby with nothing tangible to show for all the money spent.

(It does give me many hours though to spend on the garden - and plants!)

Cjart and dangerine49 like this.
  20. Acerholic

Good evening @zfrittz, now they look happy. Rain just makes them glow. 35° wow. That's 15° more than I can handle these days.

I am so impressed at how you and others on this thread keep your maples looking so good in the adverse heat.

Great photos

D

21. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Good evening Acerholic, here in Granada when temperatures reach more than 40º, and some days up to 45º, it is when the problems really come and the most delicate leaves begin to burn, but good for it I have a double mesh of shade and atomization of water to cool the environment and maintain high humidity, but despite this some leaves are burned.

Acerholic likes this.
  22. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Butterfly and Moonfire this afternoon.

Attached Files:

sun, zfrittz, Nik and 3 others like this.
  23. Acerholic

Hi everyone, well it's Monday and for some who are not of a certain age in life, that means first day of work. D of @LoverOfMaples asked me last week to send him a photo for his first day of work, so I thought I would try and cheer you up with some of mine that are rapidly changing colour this week. I do hope these bring a small smile to your faces today.
    D

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Nik, dangerine49 and 5 others like this.
  24. AlainK

This afternoon, I finally decided to plant the courgettes I've had in pots for ten days or so. I planted one.

But it started to rain so I had to give up. "Breton weather" sunny spells, then a shower of rain. I had to buy food, so I went to the local supermarket, and the rain stopped. When I got back, put the food in the fridge, and was ready to go outside but although it was apparently sunny, the rain started again.

courgettes_200608a.jpg jardin_200608a.jpg

Back to maples : the top of my potted 1.50m Acer griseum, mostly in the sun. Itt was repotted at least two years ago :

acer-gris01_200608a.jpg acer-gris01_200608b.jpg

Acer triflorum, a very similar tree, except for the bark.
    I got this tree in June 2018, two years ago. I repotted it this spring, before budbreak, and it rocketted, it's now something like 1.20 metres. Surprisingly, although it's mostly in the shade, it has some dry spots. The leaves are bigger softer than last year, it must be because it grew fast (I put some slow-release fert in the soil) that's probably why. There's one in a park nearby, I'll try to get photos as a comparison.

acer-triflorum_200608a.jpg acer-triflorum_200608b.jpg

Cjart, zfrittz, monicasanchez and 5 others like this.
  25. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

A sun break this morning...
    Beni Otake
    DSCN9202.jpg DSCN9205.jpg DSCN9257.jpg

sun, zfrittz, monicasanchez and 5 others like this.