Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@ROEBUK Hi M, that really looks like the Taylor's I've owned and lost.
    I wonder if it's a marketing ploy as the Taylor cultivar was being lost so often. Just give it a new name and we buy it ?????
    I will be interested to hear how yours gets on.

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Makes you wonder, this was one of the reasons why i bought it so i could compare it to my other Taylor's placed it somewhere out of the way and just leave well alone and see how it fairs, up to press it's doing OK , but so did my Taylors for a while then they just died on me , treating this one differently though, like to give it plenty of shade with just the smallest amount of watering every other day just to keep those roots moist and not overly damp , and so far it seems to be coping fine.

3. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Thats exactly what I'm doing since I haven't read anything good about Taylor so far. I don't have any high hopes. I'm just gonna take it day by day.

4. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, @ROEBUK. Good morning M & D, I am making notes of maples on this thread that people are either recommending or buyer beware tags. It cheers me up knowing I can save my money by not buying a certain cultivar or knowing I'm buying a strong maple.
    There is nothing worse IMO in saying to yourself," I wish I had known about that one before I bought it".
    I have a one in my garden that would go on the latter list, it is Peve Multicolour. It looks lovely for a couple of weeks in Spring, but then it just gives up for the rest of the year and the leaves just melt. It's only saving grace is, it does come back each Spring.
    I know we can all look up a maple name on the UBC but this thread has some very interesting chat on maples, that I enjoy.

Atapi likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Hi everyone, the thread has a new title, it's now 'CHEERING OURSELVES UP WITH MAPLES'. Its still the same thread, so 64 pages and counting.
    After the 'many' messages I've received about wanting the thread to continue long term for photos and general discussion about our shared interest, after the crisis is over; I thought it would be more appropriate to have the word Maples in the title.
    I'm also hoping it will attract 'new' maple lovers to share their photos, knowledge and experiences with us all. IMO, the more the merrier.
    I do hope you all agree. D ( Acerholic).

zfrittz, monicasanchez and Cjart like this.
  6. Acerholic

I've just had a delivery, Trompenburg. I'm in so much trouble, lol

Attached Files:

AlainK, dangerine49, zfrittz and 4 others like this.
  7. Nik

Nik Contributor

New to this forum...
    Few of my maples on a misty morning. Photos taken today.

Rhode Island Red
    Sensu
    A seedling, in its 3rd year, vigorous grower, 4 feet tall now
    Two second year seedlings, one palmatum, the other griseum x something else (I suspect platanoides, but realize that this has not been observed previously; I found it in an urban environment with only griseums and platanoides in the vicinity)

Attached Files:

sun, AlainK, dangerine49 and 7 others like this.
  8. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi D, it looks good. It looks like a tall box, what size did you get if you dont mind I am asking?.

9. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hello D., you are so correct. I have one too and people keeps praise this cultivar but before I notice its multicolor in the spring, its turned to green already. Is yours in the shade or in full sun?.

10. Acerholic

@Atapi, good afternoon S, not too big!! it's in a 3ltr pot, it arrived in very good condition, so have high hope's for it. Just placed it in the shade as it's rather hot here today.

11. Acerholic

@Atapi. Hi S , I now keep mine in the shade, as it shrivels in early Spring if it gets too much sun.

12. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Emery, I was wrong about the Beni shi en. You are correct it is variegated. I will need to look closer next times :))

13. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi M., very nice looking tree. So tell me from these variegated white/pink/green leaf, which one do you like most?. I tend to lean to Karaori Nishiki where its colors are showing better than the Butterfly but I have issue with cross root stock green-leaves.

14. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Interesting you guys are talking about 'Trompenburg' and sun. This is a tree I don't pay enough attention to, although it's a very nice one, x shirasawanum as are all of the convex-leafed varieties. I got mine from Dick van der Maat as a new graft in 2011 and it had a hard time getting going, as they sometimes do when they leave the greenhouse too soon. It burned easily also, but once it got going and put a big root on, it really holds red and seems to be not burning. Really only just putting on size now, this one was planted in 2018. 7 years in a pot is no kind of success for me!! Here are some pictures from today, looking pretty good I think in spite of all the wind and dry. I do need to weed it, ouch.

For dog people I'll include Cooper and Samantha last night, at the end of their kibble/dentastick/cookie routine they have to wait outside before coming in for the latter. Neither would wander off, but now that Cooper is senile he sometimes totters next door to steal food and bones from the neighbor's dogs. (Sam is a good girl and stays inside the gate!) Anyway the cookie keeps him honest.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

@emery , good afternoon Emery, Our Golden Retriever was called Boomer. She was the perfect breed as we had young children then. So my wife and I gave a big Ahhhh to your first photo.
    Back to maples, Trompenburg and Starfish are favourites of mine. The deep burgandy red convex leaves are just so different.
    Yours looks perfect amongst the green grass, 'lovely'.

16. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Emery, do you have a Saoshika Japanese maple? I was hoping you could post a photo sometime here so I could compare a grafted unlabled tree to see if the leaves compare to mine. Doesn’t matter how soon—just whenever you are near it with a camera! It sounds and looks as though you have lots and lots of maples and a really large area. Here are some photos of mine.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, AlainK, ROEBUK and 2 others like this.
  17. LoverOfMaples

Good afternoon D. I'm was having the same problem with mine. It seem to be perking up as it warms up.

18. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hello everyone.

Without a doubt, this is a thread that must continue for many pandemics that happen (although we hope that this is the last one).

Today I wanted to share with you a photo from last autumn. It is an Acer palmatum, from seed, that I am working as a bonsai (this is not entirely correct, because I am still thinking of letting it grow as a bush haha). He is 7 years old.

20191124_112859.jpg

AlainK, dangerine49, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  19. LoverOfMaples

monicasanchez likes this.
  20. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good afternoon to you too D. The Atlantic between us makes no difference to this tree me thinks. Let's hope yours and mine pick up, as the Spring colours are quite special.
    It's funny you know. I bought mine at a nursery in Spring. Bet I would not have done so if I saw it there in the Sumner, lol

21. Acerholic

@monicasanchez, Hi Monica, I love that colour. Seedlings are just the best IMO.
    I hope the thread does continue for a long time too, but as you say 'No more pandemics please'.

monicasanchez likes this.
  22. Acerholic

Hi @Nik, first of all welcome to the thread. Secondly your maples look so natural in their environment, 'absolutely wonderful'.
    The Rhode island red looks stunning.
    Thankyou for sharing these.

23. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

They are great and unique dogs as I think anyone who's had one knows. Not very "doggy" in some ways, but enormously intelligent, both of these have amazing vocabularies and understand amazingly well when you talk about subjects they care about... And they can go everywhere with you. We got Cooper for our son also, when he was 6, he's been on boats and trains, Maple Society visits, etc. Sadly he had a series of pretty bad strokes, and falls down quite a lot now, but he's still game and enjoying life and his (now quite short) walks. My wife wanted to get another one because they're so empathic, but of course Samantha is a ruffian without an ounce of couth. (She is empathic though, if someone is upset she does her best to comfort them).

@Cjart we do have a pretty big garden but not actually that many JMs compared to a lot of you. My main interest is Acer species and that's mostly what I collect and have planted. That said, I do have 'Saoshika', a maple I've always admired and planted in 2008. This one comes from Guy Maillot who we were discussing earlier. It's planted in a difficult place, near a hedge of poplars (so quite dry) and gets full sun all afternoon, which is perhaps why it has never done that well. Also, it's beyond hose-range from the house so has almost never been watered, all of which makes it a very small maple for 12 years in the ground. I would say the largest leaves are perhaps 3 inches across, and it does look a lot like yours. However the new growth on yours looks different.

I don't know if anyone else paying attention here has one, you might want to start a new thread (or add to the saoshika thread if there is one).

Our 'Soashika' sits in a group in the corner of the mowed area, with A. longipes 'Gold Coin' and A. pseudoplatanus 'Nizettii'. This last is now starting to put on some real growth, so I think within a couple of years the group will look very nice and full.

Attached Files:

AlainK, monicasanchez and zfrittz like this.
  24. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the photos Emery. I appreciate you doing that. The leaves and form of your tree look really similar to mine. Most of the leaves are not quite so big as the one I measured in the photo. Guess it’s one of those things I will never know for sure but I think that Saoshika is probably what I have. Will see if it colors up in the fall to be the reddish orange. Anyway it seems to be doing well. Kind of like saying “I’m lost but making good time anyway!“ Your gardens are beautiful and hope it’s a good year for your maples. Carol

emery likes this.
  25. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Is anyone have any information regarded to an insect called 'Cicadas' and Japanese maples?.
    This type of insect due to come up from the ground every 17 yrs and very destructive by eating as many leaves as they can then lay their eggs, eggs hatched then go back to the ground for the next 17 yrs. This yr is the 17th yr that they will return to Virginia, West Va, and North Carolina and I was wondered if you know they are attracting to maples leaves, too.
    Get set for the return of cicadas and their 'alien-like wail' after 17 years underground