Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. ChrisUk

ChrisUk Active Member

Hi there,
    Still raining today, but I managed to take a few pictures of trees stil having raindrops on them. It doesn't really feel like Summer at the moment...

In photos: Shirazz, Orangeola, Bihou, Enkan

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Your maples are loving the weather the West of England is having this year looking at your trees C. Very happy and colourful.

D

ChrisUk likes this.
  3. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Same here... bad summer weather, but very good for the lawn and the maples :)

@ChrisUk : that second photo, the dissectum, has a beautiful structure! Did you lead it, or did it grow naturally?

ChrisUk likes this.
  4. ChrisUk

ChrisUk Active Member

I didn't lead it (I wish I knew how to do it though :))
    I acquired it not long ago from a nursery, and the person there told me he cut one of the branches some time ago because it was too heavy and falling and that started giving its shape. Some other acers had a bit of wiring, so maybe they train some of them a little bit. The shape is the reason why I actually bought it since I already had another smaller one from the same cultivar, but with a more traditional garden-center like pendular shape.

5. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, well after one months worth of rain in two hours last night, it's a wet leafed day today here in Southern England.
    So here are Chitosayama, Ornatum,Waterfall, Pixie, Viridis, Baldsmith, Beni Maiko, Red Pygmy, Will's Devine and Mikawa yatsabusa.

Chitoseyama 301.JPG Ornatum 301.JPG Waterfall 301.JPG Pixie 301.JPG Viridis 301.JPG Baldsmith 301.JPG Beni maiko 301.JPG Red pigmy 301.JPG Wills devine 301.JPG Mikawa yatsubusa 301.JPG

D

6. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey all well its been a vacation of hard yard work for me. Today my body is so sore from washing my house exterior that I’ve taken the day completely off and took some pics of my mini collection. Excuse some of the pathetic landscaping I have work scheduled for late fall and it should be amazing. Any input on the trees is always welcome almost all of these I got this season. I’ll send individual pictures cause I’m. Technically not super savvy with labelling them. Hope you like them. It cheered up my day to say hello to the trees . The first is ICE DRAGON

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  7. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

TAYLOR I’m really enjoying this tree, its fairly sun tolerant more so than many of the others I have which is surprising to me. It is young so I do keep it under the shade cloth and it seems to be fairing fine there, it is in its original nursery pot and I think it will remain that way for a while

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Only one Lisa and that is 'LOVELY'.

D

Lisa Harry likes this.
  9. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

TSUMA GAKI, I think this tree is in the correct location for it which is great cause I’ve heard they can be troublesome. I love it such amazing colour. I did up pot it into a grow bag that was slightly larger than its original and it seems to be fairing well.

Attached Files:

10. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

MOONRISE, So beautiful. I believe this tree needs to be repotted as it dries very quickly but it appears well for the most part. I find its new growth leaf scorches quickly (maybe its the roots) but it is under my shade cloth and doesn’t tolerate the sun as well as the TAYLOR. However it is so beautiful

Attached Files:

11. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

ORION, there is something amazing about this tree, I am so captivated by it. It is in its original nursery pot and I think in fall I’ll up pot it but it seems to be happy right now. It needs more frequent watering cause its pot is smaller and dries out more quickly. But I am so happy I have it. It lives under my shade cloth right now and I think it will remain there.

Attached Files:

12. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

SEIRYU, this is a lovely tree and is in its original nursery pot which I think is fine till next season. It is under the shade cloth but is exposed on one side to full afternoon sun, which it tolerates fine. It was doing great until I moved it to another place under my deck and the roof panels created a magnifying affect causing some mild leaf scorch on two leaves at the top. So I moved it to where it was happiest.

Attached Files:

13. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

ARA KAWA, such a cool tree and very sun tolerant. This tree is completely pot bound and in its original nursery pot, it has surface roots all over circling the top. In fall I will root prune it but for now it requires daily watering as it dries out while in full sun. It appears like it has two little shoots growing in the pot as well. I just love it.

Attached Files:

14. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

CORAL BARK (SANGO KAKU), this tree was given to me on my birthday from my best friend, she has the same in her yard. I am enthralled by it however, it is in too small of a pot and needs to be up potted pretty quick as I’m now getting a number of dried leaves despite daily watering and keeping it under the shade cloth. I’m pretty excited to see it in winter.

Attached Files:

15. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

ORANGE DREAM, this is a gorgeous picky tree, it is in its original nursery pot and I can see some surface roots but that may be because a squirrel keeps attacking it and hiding nuts in the soil. When I purchased it, there was leaf scorch as it was in full sun, I put it in a place where it receives late morning and afternoon shade and it seems like its doing better. The original leaf scorch has not improved but I don’t believe it does once there. This is not its final location it will be down the left more as I have this area mapped out for PEACHES AND CREAM once I get one. The little shrubs will be uprooted and potted then moved to better locations.

Attached Files:

16. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

OMURE YAMA, very excited for this content little guy. I did slip pot this one into a larger pot, its original soil was very clay like and even in this new pot it drains well but holds moisture for a while. It’s leaves are speckled not sure why it was like this when I purchased it, the soil level I felt was too high up the trunk so I lowered it about an inch or so. It seems strong and happy in its location.

Attached Files:

17. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

ORANGEOLA, my partner picked this one out he quite fancies it. I did slip pot this one and add a stake to it as it kept falling over. It seems happy and tolerates a lot of afternoon sun. It has very lovely colouring.

Attached Files:

18. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

RISING SUN, my love who makes the RED DRAGON look even better. I love this tree and I love all its colours. I feel bad as its tolerating full sun from sun up to sun down. It has little to no leaf scorch but as you can see its very copper in colour. I may try to find a larger tree to give it some shade or make a removable awning with shade cloth. It is in its original nursery pot and again pot bound so daily watering a must. Fall is when I’ll root prune it.

Attached Files:

19. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

RED DRAGON, my dogs tree that she loves and is incredible. It’s tolerating full sun all day and a breeze. It’s in its original nursery pot and sitting inside of a clay pot. The pot temp is the same as anything I have in the shade. It needs a root pruning by spring but can be done in fall this year. Whatever soil mix it previously had was perfect for it.

Attached Files:

20. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

HANA - MATOI, this was recommendation from @Acerholic and I blame him for many of my other purchases but this one I am truly grateful for. It is in its original pot and it will stay that way I think till spring. It had when purchased cottony maple scale but after minor pruning and constant removing it appears to be bug free for now.

Attached Files:

21. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

RED CLOUD, this one yelled at me at the nursery which is odd as I’m not normally a huge fan of its leaf type. It will be a great company tree to my waterfall. It’s in its original pot and I believe doing well.

Attached Files:

22. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

ACER JAPCONICUM ACONTIFOLIUM AKA “THE RESCUE TREE”, last year this tree hated where it was placed. I called it the rescue tree cause I found it in the back 40 of a nursery in the smallest pot ever and nobody was sure on its name and it needed someone to love it so desperately. So the members of this group helped me revive it and now it’s doing great! It’s s scheduled to be root pruned this fall and placed into a different type of container.

Attached Files:

ChrisUk, dangerine49, maf and 6 others like this.
  23. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Wow the colour and shape of your trees are just stunning!

ChrisUk likes this.
  24. Acerholic

Good morning on a very sunny and dry day here in Southern England. So nice to be able to start the day with a coffee amongst my trees again.
    They were enjoying the sunshine too.
    Karusa gawa 302.JPG Elmwood 302.JPG Emerald Lace 302.JPG Bi hoo 302.JPG Kandy kitchen 302.JPG Beni hime 302.JPG Dr Brown 302.JPG Reticulatum Como 302.JPG
    They are Karusa gawa, Elmwood, Emerald Lace, Bi hoo, Kandy Kitchen, Beni hime, Dr Brown and Reticulatum Como.

D

25. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

3 Ukigumo trees
    1 Black lace..

Only limited dappled morning sun given to all of these ..
    I’ll leave you work out which is which lol

Attached Files: