Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

If ever you want to dig the soil around it for one reason or another, keep the roots that you've cut : mosy prunus species can easily be reproduced by root-cutting : put the root in a pot with about a centimeter (half an inch) above the soil in February, seal the wound so it doesn't rot (Japanese cut paste, wood glue, candle wax, aluminium tape for plumbers, etc) and keep it in a cool frost-free place. Put it outside when it's safe and there's a 95% chance new buds will sprout.

Of course, if it's grafted, you won't get the same variety, but I've done it with Prunus serrulata 'Accolade', and after only three years from a pencil-wide root, I got a flowering Prunus.

A picture taken in my, er "lush" ^_^ garden in 2016, 3 or 4 years after taking a root cutting :

prunus-acc02_160406a.jpg

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@AlainK what a very useful tip for everyone Alain. Plants or trees for free is always a bonus.

4. Acerholic

I think you have the species spot on N.

Nik likes this.
  5. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Lots of fruit this year on one tree none at all on the other..very random

Attached Files:

monicasanchez likes this.
  6. Acerholic

@dicky5ash good morning R, I have a Sorbus aria lutescens Whitebeam with no berries at all this year and it normally has them every year. Random indeed.

7. Acerholic

As a morning person I like to be out in my garden very early to watch nature wake up with a cup of coffee in hand. This morning was no exception, but after blue skys the cloud and a scattering of raindrops came in very quickly. My photos today should reflect the changes in such a short time frame here in Southern England.

Attached Files:

Nik, ROEBUK, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  8. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My Sango Kaku and Autumn Moon are starting to colour up nicely while Orange Dream is still growing happily.

Attached Files:

Nik, ROEBUK, zfrittz and 5 others like this.
  9. Acerholic

@MapleMO good evening M, dark and pouring with rain here atm, so your photos have brightened up my day. Love the pinks you are getting on Autumn moon. Looking at your Orange Dream it makes me wonder when the growth will actually stop.!!!? Lol.

10. MapleMO

Good evening D, yes who knows, they might just keep growing as there is hardly any frost anymore here in winter. We go from fall straight to spring. Hopefully this winter will be different but I am not counting on it. We used to go iceskating a lot in winter but not anymore unfortunately..

11. Acerholic

@MapleMO yes the skating on the canals in Winter is something an old friend from the Netherlands used to tell me about. He is now in Canada and getting the ice and snow he so loves.
    But maybe as you said this Winter maybe different.

MapleMO likes this.
  12. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Some pictures from the last few days of September , every thing moving nicely now into October.

Attached Files:

Nik, zfrittz, monicasanchez and 7 others like this.
  13. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@ROEBUK lovely trees and photos..Ive never seen anything like Toy Nishiki absolutely remarkable!

ROEBUK likes this.
  14. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Thanks for the link.

The shape of the leaves is more similar to mine than the many other circinatum in the neighborhood.
    I guess the spring leaves will show if there is a closer correlation as the regular circinatum is bright green not orange like 'Burgundy Jewel'.

15. Acerholic

@ROEBUK good morning M what a display !!! Beautiful trees yet again from you.

ROEBUK likes this.
  16. Acerholic

Good morning, I took these before seeing M @ROEBUK posting, so mine are way down the pecking order.
    But here they are. My last one is my Mikazuki producing new growth and leaves today.

Attached Files:

Nik, dangerine49, ROEBUK and 5 others like this.
  17. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks D the colours are really moving now, will have more to show shortly looks like you are going to have some interesting weather at the weekend down south ?

18. Acerholic

@ROEBUK look forward to it M. Yes the weather might get more than interesting here. The rain has already started and not due to stop for several days. All my babies went under cover earlier ready for the deluge.
    My photos might be a bit damp looking from now on, Lol.

19. Acerholic

Soooo much rain and a lot more to come, so some very soggy maples to share today, got a little sunshine at day break, so a few in better light. But now it is very dark again and ominous.
    They are colouring up now. Not as much as ROEBUK, as he is a couple of hundred miles further North than me. But getting there !!!

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, Nik, dicky5ash and 3 others like this.
  20. Acerholic

And it's still raining here, think we might float away Lol.
    So just a few taken minutes ago under my umbrella, something to give the neighbours a chuckle. The colours on my Trompenburg even in these horrible conditions made me a smile.

Attached Files:

21. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Now that's what I call dedication D!.Believe me,we really need this wet spell,though it's been an almost invisible spray but maintained for hours.
    Thanks for getting out there and sharing your lovely photos,I believe you've still got the best colours to come.Must admit your photo of Katsura yesterday screwed my brain for a moment....did a double take...that's not the lawn,it's a hedge ha ha.
    Dry off,have a cuppa,and have a super day.

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

@Houzi good morning J, glad you are getting some wet stuff down there for your trees. As you say they do need it. Pleased your enjoying my photos, that's the reason I'm doing it, for everybody to see some colour who has had a difficult dry Summer.
    Yes, that is my hedge at the back of my garden, Lol. Gives protection from the winds to my maples.
    Drying off now watching the rain from my conservatory with coffee in hand listening to Alan Titchmarsh on Classic FM.

Have a lovley weekend J.

Houzi likes this.
  23. MapleMO

New growth! After the recent high winds/storm, most of my maples which had many shriveled leaves are producing new growth. Fall is far away here..

Pictures are of Kamagata, Corallinum, Orange dream, Mikawa yatsabusa, Seiryu and Jerre schwartz from this morning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    zfrittz, monicasanchez, Nik and 2 others like this.
  24. Acerholic

@MapleMO good afternoon M, love your Kamagata and the new growth you are getting is just amazing for October. What a year!!!!

25. MapleMO

Thanks D, as I mentioned before Kamagata has now almost tripled in size in 2 years so if it keeps this up I don’t think it can be considered a dwarf! Lol