CHC source in Vancouver? Victoria? soil mixes used ??

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by lemon_dreams, Mar 19, 2006.

1. lemon_dreams

lemon_dreams Active Member

Does anyone know a source for coconut husk chips in the lower mainland or victoria? I'll be purchasing my citrus trees while I am down next month and really want to try growing in this medium, ordering online isn't always the easiest (no credit card... and dads been way toooo grumpy latly)

Just sure be nice to purchase when I get my trees because once home, I could get them quickly transplanted

If not, CHC's what else do members in the lower mainland use? Just something easily found. I can get an orchid mix from my local walmart if worst comes to worst... just rather find something that more members use for containers... that I can trust in

Betty
    (trail)

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

With one exception I received mostly blank looks when I asked for CHC in the Vancouver area plant stores. I didn't get around to checking with places that deal with hydroponics. Bark chips are available in large bags but are not sterilized for indoor use. Small bags of sterilized chips for orchids are available at various grades but are expensive. Don't know if orchid mixes will be good for citrus as they contain other ingredients and they're also relatively expensive. Online sources will likely be your best bet if you really want CHC.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Having grown many a citrus from seed, why not try a potting medum ie planter mix, and restrict the root growth every season..temper for out of doors and reclimatize in the fall? coconut husks are not commonly available except from a few specialty nursuries seasonally....

4. lemon_dreams

I guess I'll try calling a few places myself, see what I can find for CHC's I refuse to use a regular potting mix... its just not good for citrus. Being indoor and in containers... soil, planting medium is even more important.

If it comes down to it, I'll use a pine or cedar mulch of sorts and just sterilize it myself. The only downfall is having to change the medium yearly as it'll decompose. This is my first attempt with citrus and I want to use the best medium I'm able to purchase and find.

I've not heard much about restricting the root growth, doesn't sound like something I would want to do. esspecially in restricting root growth, you restrict the green growth up top. I want my treeto grow and be as healthy as possible. Not to mention indoor container citrus tend to be smaller to begin with. Amd my plants will be indoors year round. I have them off my deck, in a sun room of sorts. I see no point of putting them out on the deck and exposing them to animals and bugs when inside they'll get as much heat and sun as outside... maybe even more inside... same goes for humidity. I rather be able to control the factors in a room that to leave it up to nature.

Thanks for the replies, always apreciated

5. K Baron

Well... good for you...I grew up in Castlegar, and experimented with citrus as a teenager...I know from experience that indoor citrus have a limited life span, simply because I believe that citrus was never an easy indoor plant...unless you have greenhouse conditions, you will not have a citrus for more than 5 years of age before it perishes...I may be wrong but I am going by past experience. I hope that you have better success than I did...and I may learn something new about indoor citrus growing conditions...best wishes.

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

lemon_dreams, I have seen coco husk products at a hydroponics store, that type of store may be your best bet. They have more specialized indoor grow products. Check around and I am sure people on the forums will keep looking as well.

Good luck,

7. lemon_dreams

I dont think indoor citrus have a short lifespan, maybe if they aren't fed or cared for as much as they need... they seem to be high maintenece plants. I know many that have had their citrus for 10+ years now. I actually found a woman in Castlegar that has been growing them in her sun room since the late 70's. She's actually offered me several branches this spring to try and root... I'm soooo excited!

I know the room they will be grown in, does have amazingly grenhouse-like conditions. extra heat, great humidity and spectacular heat and light. Humidity is 70% and the temp is 80F day time and 74 night time. I know I have lime seedlings in that room growing faster than weeds. I had my seedlings in my bedroom before and thegrowth was slow and I lost several larger seedlings. It was warm, but just not how they liked and needed. SO muchhappier now.

Just have to keep myself positive and know that I'll keep my plantshappy and alive. Just need to be sure to askfor help and advice when things seem to go downhill.

I've called as many hydroponic stores in BC that I could find. 3 have offered to try and find and order them in for me. I call back on friday to see what they came up with. Really wanting to use CHC's. Wish me luck

8. K Baron

In San Joaquim Valley, California there are experts who could reccommend the right temperature balance for citrus...your growning conditions sound fabulous and the envy
    of most indoor plant lovers...good luck with sourcing CHC's ...I will endeavour to do the same, and perhaps my citrus will live longer than 5 years...or 20?

9. lemon_dreams

The only reason my "greenhouse room" is the right temp, humidity is because I keep the rest of the house ice cold to make up for it. I've actually had little to no heat since I moved in (3 months ago) I dont pay my own utilities and I dont want the landlord wondering why the bills went up 100+ when its just a single person living in here. I'm more than happy to suffer through winter... just bundle up more and to get warmed up... go in the plant room for a coupe minutes and I feel like I'm in a sauna fully clothed.

Citrus are my new passion, my hobby. I've had an interest for so long with no one local being able to bring them in.... then in a matter of days I found so many citrus sources I was amazed. I'll be getting lemons, limes, calamondins, kumquats, limequats... butone of my faves... the veregated pink lemon ... just how cool is all that? I'm hoping more than anything that I'll be staying here for years to come. moving these trees would be horrendous. And not something I'd trust movers to do!

10. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Lemon Dreams, CHC's are getting very commonly used in containerized citrus, and people visiting the citrus forum would be the people that would be able to help you. In fact I am the first person ever to use them with containerized citrus, and then brought CHC culture to the attention of various citrus forums that I post at. However, I guess rules are rules. Coconut Husks are also used quite extensively by orchid growers. You can inquire at orchid suppliers. I purchase my CHC from the Chrystal Company in Saint Louis, MO. USA. If you cannot find any I would be happy to send you some, as I purchase them in 1000-lb. batches. However I live in Colorado, so it would be less expensive if you could find them in Canada. I am always amazed how hard it is to find things in Canada. Do you know about the pre treat of CHC before you plant in them? Also, containerized citrus can live just as long as trees planted in the ground when given proper care. I know of container citrus trees over 50 years old. I currently grow 73 different varieties of citrus in containers, and two citrus trees in the ground. Satsumas, mandrins, navels, lemons, limes, pummelos, grapefruit, kumquats, sunquats, citrangequats, mandarinquats, trifoliate oranges and on and on. I never cut the roots. I wish you luck, if I can be of any assistance to you in any way, send me a priviate message, or better yet post your questions to the membership on the citrus forum. Take care. - Millet

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
  11. lemon_dreams

Millet,

thank you for your responce, always do value yours. I belong to several boards where you are a member or owner? and definatly take the time to read through your postings very well, always filled with knowledge.

I've searched the hydroponic stores for CHC's and it doesn't look like its going to happen. Have to do as you suggested and try a few orchid places.

As for the pre treatment of CHC's... oh yes, I'veread many posts about what to do. The.. caution exchange or something like that. If it really comes down to it, I'll have my dad use his credit card and order online. I've found a few sources that aren't quite as far, so hoping shipping would be less. 20 bucksa for a .3 or 3.0 (cant remember off hand) not sure how many plants that would go for, I'll be purchasing 4 1 gallon pots and 3 5 galon. Plus, I have a bunch of citrus seedlings I'd like to get planted into it before they get a big root system, and while they are still nice andhealthy.

12. lemon_dreams

Most stores, even here, cary the coconut husk fibers or choir (sp) its a step after what I need. its basically a more environmental peat moss. I need the nice big chunky stuff. I've called every hydroponic store listed in the telus phonebook...for the lower mainland and victoria. thank goodness I get free long distance

I do have options other than the CHC's, just less practical being I'd have to changethe medium each year, rather than every 5-7. with citrus roots not liking attention... I want to repot and transplant and all that stuff... as little aspossible

13. Junglekeeper

Really??? After all we DO live in the land of ice and snow. According to the Olympic committee, we in Vancouver snowshoe and snowmobile to get around and ice fish for recreation. LOL.

Seriously though, limited availability is to be expected in a relatively small market particularly for niche items like citrus. A network really helps when sourcing things.

Millet, do you have an opinion on orchid mixes that contain a variety of ingredients?

14. lemon_dreams

I meant to ask millet that as well. About the premade orchid mixes. Walmart sells a bag... prolly 10 pounds or so, maybe a tad less... for 9.00. Thats affordable for me... rather something cheaper.. but it IS a local option. Might pop up to walmart tomorrow and get a list of all thats in it, to get your more qualified opinon. Hard for you to say, unless generalized, without knowing whats in, this specific mix, for me.

15. Millet

Junglekeeper, about the land of ice and snow where you get around with snowshoes. I have been to Vancouver and Victoira many times. British Columbia, could be one of the most beautiful places in Norh America. Really a great place in which to live. In fact I was there late last June with the American Ivy Society. We toured very many of the private gardens throughout Washington state and BC Canada which are not open for vewing by general public, plus several of the larger public gardens. If I had known about the University of British Columbia (UBC) I would have made a concerted effort to visit the research facilities and their gardens. I have been very fortunate to travel over much of the world with the American Ivy Society, visiting many of the world's finest gardens. I can tell you that BC is one of my favorite areas. Lemon Dreams, the few orchids that I cultivate, I have them growing in CHC, and they do well. CHC's are available in several chip sizes: 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, and 1 inch. I find the 1/4 inch size good for smaller trees (seedlings) and plants, and the 1/2 inch, or a mixture of the 1/2 and 1/4 inch good for larger trees growing in larger containers. CHC are available in 3 cubic foot bales, which expands to 5 cubic feet after they have been soaked. Hope this answers the question you ask in you private message. Take care, and the best of luck with your trees. BTW UBC should put a cold hardy citrus variety in their garden at Vancouver. It would be a popular tree for visitors. Take care. - Millet

16. Junglekeeper

I couldn't agree with you more. Leave it to the marketing people to distort things with sterotypes.

Do you know which varieties of citrus she has?

17. lemon_dreams

We've really just talked generically about her citrus, other than her lemon tree. Her lemons are about the size of those small sized child footballs, the foam ones... still.. REALLY big compared to the regular lemons we see in stores. I do know she has a non fruiting grapefruit. Shes wanting to get rid of it. Once I figure out how to get a 7 ft tree to my house... its definatly mine. pretty sure she has a lime and a couple oranges. from the way we've talked... it sounds as if she has at least 10 different fruits

18. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

millet, I am getting close to actually ordering some hardy citrus plants from Stan. (he had some soil samples taken last week and we are waiting for test the results). I have offered
    to bring some in for the food garden @ UBC botanical if they want. I brought in 2 avocado trees from California for UBC botanical on my recent order.

Lemon Dreams what citrus are you buying in and from where? I have found a couple of decent-but a a little bit pricey-places here in the lower mainland to buy standard , not cold hardy citrus. Last week I bought a Oro Blanco (Grapefruit hybrid).

Gregn

19. lemon_dreams

I'll be buying from tiny toms tangerine farm. He has all I'd need. I was going to try and get it all in one trip... but honestly, I'd break the bank.

I'm not worried about them being cold hardy or not as they'll be inside most, if not all of the time.

I'm hoping to get..
    Calamondin
    meyer lemon
    key and bearrs lime
    kumquat
    limequat
    verigated pink lemonaid
    page orange
    rio red (rio star) grapefruit. have seeds of this started, will be search for root stock next and practicegrafting when my seedlings are old enough to do so.

I know there are a lot of others I'd like... but $$ is a huge factor.

just going to get the meyer, pink lemon (or limequat), calamondin and kumquat this trip. Sure hard to narrow it down to just 4 or 5 plants :( but, in doing so, I can get a few older plants rather than just the 1 galons. there is NO place within a 4 hour drive that sells citrus around here. So, I'll make my usual trips to the coast and grab a tree each time after this initial trip/investment.

My goal is to also try cuttings, from ppl I know and those I have yet to meet. Unfortunatly, my friend in the next town over is getting hessitant about my using her citrus to take cuttings :( heres to keeping my fingers crossed!!!

20. lemon_dreams

that is a 4 hour each way drive. Allll the way to kelona and back. so 8 hour round trip drive... Id be better ordering online

21. Gregn

Where is T Toms Tangerines located ? I heard of that place and the number I got was not in service - I figured he had gone out of buisness. I am more into growing citrus outside. (Not too viable in the kootenays I guess!!) calamondins are $17 at Home Depot.
    They did have Meyer Lemons for $20 (around chinese new Year) I havent looked recently.
    gregn

22. Millet

Gregn, that's great. What variety of cold hardy citrus do you hope to get from Stan? About the Oro Blanco that you purchased in Canada, what size was it and how much did it cost in Canada? You know you have seven months to save up some money for a trip to Virginia Beach, Virginia where the 2006 Citrus Expo is going to be held. - Millet

23. Gregn

I am planning on getting at least one & maybe more of: juanita tangerine, US 119, 10 deg tangerine, Dunstan Citrumelo, Thomasville citranequat and some sort of early satsuma.
    I have some family and friends in on it too it will be a large order - 15 to 20 plants.
    the oro blanco is 16 to 18' tall with 4 branches I paid $40 CDN (a bit much - its probably
    a $30 to $35 value) It was grafted and grown here at a hobby farm so I was OK with the price. (and no Phyto and import hastles either) the grower has been really helpful with both the citrus and avocado questions.
    gregn

24. lemon_dreams

Tiny Tom's is still open and thriving. but... when you call the number.. it IS for another business, you have to ask for Tom. Email me OFFlist and I will send you his cell number. He isn't a typical business,open anytime. Its by appointment only. I think he said he has some 70 varieties. all his tress coime with fruit adn or flowers on it!!

He is HIGHLY knowledgeable... He gets a lot from 4 winds in california (they actually got me in contact with him) He has a lot of varieties you would be amazed at... or sohe told me. I'm so new... list off 20 varieties and I am excited

How big are the coloamondins that home depot sells? Do they have them pretty much anytime. which home depot? I DO NOT know the vancouver or area at ALL. Once I leave Abby... I am a lost cause.

I know Tiny Tom... most of his plants start at 20 bucks for a 1 gallon. I dont know the price for teh 3 or 5 gallon. I just thought it would be better to get more trees by buying smaller... rather than buying a couple bigger ones. I just figure if I get a couple bigger ones... more wiggle room if I do any bad to them... plus better fruit producers. We'll just see if greed takes over or not. if it does, I'll end ujp with all the 1 gallon plants. not what I really want to do. Also figure, its good to get a few plants until I know I can keep some alive.

25. Gregn

The calamondins @ Home Depot are 18 to 22" tall and 8 to 10" wide. They were at the Burnaby and Vancouver stores. Send me a private message with Toms #. Hmmm funny about Four Winds Growers... last fall they told me that they couldnt / wouldnt ship to Canada. Believe me, I tried!