Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana 'Miki' turning a dark ochre color

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Unregistered, Oct 4, 2004.

1. My Chamaecyparis L. Miki is planted in shade/Part sun and lately I have noticed that it is no longer vibrant yellow. All its needles have darkened to a yellow ochre. The needles are still attached firmly to the branches. I'm wondering if it doesn't like the shade and this is what has caused the color change. I'm northern california, sunset zone 17.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like you've lost it, I'm afraid. This species is a martyr to water molds (root rot). These can also be browned out by heavy mite infestations in summer, if it's not too late in the year for them you might like to inspect the plant for these, just in case.

3. maricela

maricela Member

Oh no. I will check for mites and I will examine the roots. I moved it to a sunnier spot yesterday hoping to save it. Thanks for your suggestions.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Rereading your post you may just be seeing the seasonal change resulting from their being less new growth, with a bright yellow color. I thought you were saying it had assumed a dull appearance, but maybe not.

5. maricela

maricela Member

Actually, it died a month later after moving it to a sunnier spot. :(