cfp in the sw coast?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Canadianplant, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i have noticed that a lot of people on the coast have been growing cidp that have a hardiness to 9 a. i was wondering why i havnt seen any evidence that someone havt tried a chinese fan palm thats hardiness is aroudn 8 b?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

There are specimen of Livistona chinesis around the BC lower mainland and coastal Vancouver Island/Gulf Islands. I've seen a fairly large specimen in False Creek and a much smaller one in Ganges. Some others in private gardens too.

Cheers, LPN.

3. Canadianplant

never thought id hear that one..... so there msut aslo be a number of boarder line palms i belive there called. so what hardiness zone would me boarderline for ur zone 7 - 8b or so climate zones?

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm having difficulty determining your question ... grammer and spelling is a stumbling block here.

Cheers, LPN.

5. Canadianplant

lol im sorry that jsut me typing way too fast. as in regards to both my replies, the phoenix and livistona species i talked about are called borderline palms if im not mistakin. Are there any other tried tested and true borderline palms other then the ones stated?

P.S sorry fer the spelling and stuff lol