cercis canadensis

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Maureen B-G, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Maureen B-G

Maureen B-G New Member

I have a Cercis canadensis Forest Pansy. It is a mature ,healthy tree that has never flowered, Every spring it gets tiny purple buds that always fall off without blooming. Then it leafs out beautifully. Any ideas or suggestions???

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This cultivar is inconspicuous in flower, maybe your buds are actually opening.

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I hesitate to contradict anything you say but website after website talks about the beautiful flowers borne by Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy'. Still, I have no idea why the buds on Maureen B-G's tree die before opening.

"In spring it bears deep crimson, pink or sometimes white pea-like flowers."

"The splendid, purple/pink flowers appear all over the tree in spring, just before the leaves emerge."

"In early spring, ‘Forest Pansy’ awakens with a long-lasting profusion of bright purplish-pink blooms borne in clusters, before the leaves, along smooth gray branches."

"Early spring flowers and fall colors are the hallmark of the Forest Pansy Redbud (Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy')."

4. Maureen B-G

Maureen B-G New Member

Thanks for your reply. I know what the flowers should look like I have seen other Forest Pansy's bloom. I have seen them from bud to flower but mine gets buds which fall off every spring without ever opening,
    Nope.. they do not open.. Every year it has been the same. Tiny unopened buds fall off without opening.

5. Kim Belcher

Kim Belcher New Member

Planted 3 years ago and is very healthy with many beautiful heart shaped leaves turning maroon in the fall. Problem is the spring flowers never open and just drop to the ground when the humming birds attempt to feed. Any thoughts would be welcome. Kim

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Merging two threads together since a couple people seem to be having the same observation...

7. Karl Villareal

Karl Villareal Well-Known Member

is that why they call it a "redbud", just buds and that's it!

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Ha-ha, no, sometimes they open. This is an old photo.
    20130507_ChilcoComox_CercisCanadensis_Cutler_P1440752cps2.jpg

9. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    And here is old thread 2009 started by a gardener in Texas I think

My Forest Pansy Redbud is in serious trouble.

I find the reply about environmental stress sensitivity interesting

I wonder if the OP in this most recent thread (gardener in North Cowichan says public profile ) has experienced a late frost or sudden frost when these buds are forming

Not being a tree expert - perhaps another person has an idea about that

I wonder if OP keeps a garden diary for their microclimate (example: date / time / temp at x time / wind / frost or ...)

10. Karl Villareal

Karl Villareal Well-Known Member

I have a Flamethrower Redbud . Does anyone have a photo of this cultivar in spring bloom?

Attached Files: