Cercis canadensis Forest Pansy eastern redbud

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Buddleia, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Buddleia

Buddleia Active Member 10 Years

I love these, so pretty and very hard to find around here.
    I bought one a few years ago, oh it was so beautiful in a standard form. I just about worshipped the darn thing. Then winter came and went and my jewel's trunk died off creating a multi stemmed tree instead - not ideal but I would take what I could get. But the horror of it all was that the fresh spring growth was green, not the anticipated burgundy colour. This is when I cottoned on that they were grafted. Well green would have to do I supposed but then I came across another one later on last summer. I overwintered it in my garage as I was scared to plant it in case I screwed up yet again. Then I found this forum so I will ask my question: How do I plant this sucker without killing off the top growth this time? Should I plant my Forest Pansy just below the graft and mulch heavily in the Fall? The bud union is approx. 6" above the soil line in the pot so I'm really torn as to what to do. This may be my last chance at growing one of these so I am a bit paralyzed with fear.
    TIA

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If your climate or site happens to be too cold for it you will continue to have such difficulties unless you grow it as a tub plant, overwintered each year under cover.

3. Buddleia

Buddleia Active Member 10 Years

Hmmm, never thought of that, too easy perhaps. I know for sure it will overwinter in the garage and I can go look for the largest pot I can find but what happens when it fills out the pot? Root and top prune?

As for planting in the ground, the climate should be ok for it, we get LOTS of snow cover too so perhaps it was the site. It was on a raised mound, maybe too exposed in the winter.

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Ceris canadensis is borderline hardy in Eastern Ontario. Unless you are right near Lake Ontario, a really protected spot is required. I wouldn't recommend the grafted cultivars or planting the graft union below soil level.

Ironically, last winter it would have sailed through just fine....but we never know that in November.