Central american plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Ale Valdes, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Ale Valdes

Ale Valdes New Member

Hi, I live in Chiapas, MX, and I found a good-looking weed in one of my plant pots, so I transplanted it and it's been growing nicely, I want to know if it's actually a house or garden plant or it is indeed just a pretty weed. Does someone find it familiar?

It has spiral thin branches and thin pointy leaves, it has been growing up, not hanging.

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. Ale Valdes

Ale Valdes New Member

Hey, thank you for your reply! Crepe ginger was the only result I managed to get from the reverse image search, it does looks similar to me although the leaves on this one are really thin and they look thick and strong on the pictures, but it might be because this one it's still small. The climate is right for it apparently (similar to some regions of costa rica), so I guess I'll have to wait and see!

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There are so many plants in the Costaceae family, it would be hard to tell from these photos. You would be able to rule out some based on hairiness of the leaves top and bottom. And the shape of the bract that holds the flowers. And the colour and shape of the flowers. From Le Jardin Ombragé Ginger Introduction Page, you can look up datasheet descriptions of Costus, Cheilocostus and some other look-alikes.

At any rate, I would expect in Chiapas that it would be a garden plant and that it would be a keeper.

I hope when it flowers that you will remember us and post photos and let us know what you decide it is.