Cedar trees

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Don Affleck, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Don Affleck

Don Affleck Member

simple question,, when is the best time to top a cedar tree????

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Since you are asking about a tree, I assume you mean a single specimen and not a hedge.

I suspect the answer that you would get from many people here is "Never": Why Topping Hurts Trees from the "Plants Are Good" site by the International Society of Arboriculturists.

I spoke with one of the horticulturists here about it as well - he suggested that the best long-term solution is to remove the tree (if there's a reason to top it, e.g., powerlines) and plant something more appropriate to the situation.

I realize that neither of these are the answer to the question you asked, though.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Michael, I suspect the cedar in question is a Thuja, perhaps even Thuja occidentalis given Don's location. Common names strike again!