cedar mulch - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by sophie, Dec 9, 2006.

1. sophie

sophie Member

Hello,

I have a bunch of freshly chipped cedar branches that I was going to use as mulch in my garden, but I have been told that this is very bad for my plants/shrubs and such. Can anyone tell me if this is true...does it harm plants? Thanks!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you are talking about western redcedar (Thuja plicata) the theory would be that because the live tree gives off chemicals that suppress the growth of other plants* beneath it the fresh chippings might do so also. I think when this came up here before (maybe try a forum search) the discussion moved in the direction of this not being a concern.

*Which may not be true (see page at link, below)

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda ...Myths_files/Myths/Allelopathic wood chips.pdf

3. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Ron and anyone else who can help.
    What are your views on using cedar foliage to mulch flowers and vegetables. Each winter the trees shed a lot of dead material and I now have about half an inch of the stuff which has accumulated on the driveways and which I must get cleared. There are a couple of self seeded holly growing in one area of it but very little else. I suppose that the shade cast by the trees will also discourage other plant growth? Should I put it on pathways to discourage unwanted growth or is it safe to use to augment our very sandy soil?
    Many thanks.
    Margaret