Cedar hedge idea

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Lots of recent conversations here about cedar hedges

I observed this attractive one in a mixed condo / commercial parking area recently at the coast Greater Vanc in a sunny location

I estimate that the lower section consists of 2 plants

Which are currently approx 8 feet total width and maybe 6 feet tall and approx 2 feet deep

The tall accent cedar is same depth obviously - maybe 8 feet tall

To summarize - a cedar has been planted approx every ... linear feet in a pattern like A B B A B B A etc
    EDIT - my math is wrong - I think a plant inserted in to soil every 2 plus feet

Probably one would make sure you have a tall A at key design intersections (corner or gate etc)

I estimate that this hedge was installed In last 4 yrs using decent size materials

And has been cared for well from the get-go incl shearing ā€” Iā€™m surprised the local deer have not enhanced it in their own special way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Would you think that the taller 'A' plants are Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' and the fillers, 'BB', probably Thuja plicata (Western Red Cedar)? If so, the native cedars will require the hedge to be pruned frequently - annually, in my experience. I wonder how it came to be planted in that pattern? Perhaps the Smaragd were there first and then someone found cheaper, fast growing Thuja plicata to make a solid barrier. Or maybe it was planned like that from the start. I like it.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Giant size knot garden topiary comes to mind!

Yes I wonder about two diff cedars and habits etc

So far so good - looks great ā€” i have a casual hobby of observing the best and worst and other categories of residential , commercial and municipal landscaping

I imagine that - as in all these fast growing suburban areas at BC coast - the hedge might be temporary (plus/minus 10 yr - as the neighboring lots of similar zoning have not been built upon yet