Cedar fertilizer question

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by galiano, Oct 8, 2007.

1. galiano

galiano Active Member

A couple of years ago I was given 100 Western Red Cedar plugs from a forestry grower. I planted all of them on our acre property and most are still alive and doing well. The ones in damp areas have grown best. I have weeded around the base of them and now would like to fertilize if that's a good idea. Any suggestions as to what to use, how to apply it, when etc etc.

Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Timing is good, apply a granule to the surface. Soils vary in mineral content, ideally soil would be sample and tested before selecting formulation.

If mulching is possible that would probably greatly enhance results with this comparatively drought-sensitive species.

3. galiano

galiano Active Member

Thanks for your reply.

Any suggestion as to the fertilizer make up ? Would 6 8 6 be ok ?

You mention mulching. Is that to keep moisture in ?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

6-8-6 is the primary nutrient ratio of the fertilizer. To be precise, make the best use of your efforts you would find out what levels of such nutrients are in your soil now and apply a suitable formulation. If you can send samples to a soils lab, the report they send back should indicate appropriate action. Down here USDA cooperative extension helps with this.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/FactSheets/Mulch fact sheet.pdf

5. galiano

galiano Active Member

I have these cedars spread over an acre and the soil likely differs greatly from place to place so I'd have to get a number of soil tests. Don't think that's the answer so I'll hve to take my best guess at what fertilizer to use I suppose.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

take a cup of soil from numerous locations, mix it up in a wheelbarrow and take 2 cups of that mixture to the soil lab. That will get you a rough idea of what may be in excess / lacking in your soil.

That said, when I worked at a growing nursery we used to fertilize the field grown cedars (Thuja species) with time release (sulphur coated urea) lawn fertilizer with an analysis of 28-4-8, 1% Fe. broadcast at a rate of about 10Kg per 7500 suare feet (roughly).

If you do decide to do a soil test I know of a lab here in Langley that can help out, Norwest Labs, about $50 or so per test with a full analysis.