Cayenne Peppers and Harvesting

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by whaleman, Sep 26, 2006.

1. whaleman

whaleman Member

The first frost of the season is coming this week. Most of our Cayenne peppers are still green. We picked them anyway. Now what? This is our first year with Cayenne's and we are not sure about them ... will they continue to ripen like tomatoes ... or not ... will they still turn red even though they are mostly green right now. How do we keep them now that they are harvested ... at room temperature ... in the fridge? What do we do with them now that we have picked them??

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Try drying them! I do it every year. Using a darning needle and some cotton string, I make long strings of peppers that I hang in a warm & DRY place in the house. As the peppers dry, they will turn red. When I need one, I just slide it off the string and chop it up. The peppers will keep 2+ years when they're dried.

Simon

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

The green ones are still tasty and hot, which I eat fried in butter with onions, garlic, and tomatoes. Mine, vine ripened, have been picked, and the end removed, and most of the seeds taken out,and dried in the shed over the last three weeks. Today I put them in the blender and made them into small particles. They will be used as a hot paprika, as a condiment when cooking.

Durgan.