Identification: Cattleya orchid to identify and questions about a dendrobium

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rocker0For0Life, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Rocker0For0Life

Rocker0For0Life New Member

Hello,

I bought these 2 orchids just a couple of days ago. I know that one of them is a dendrobium nobile, but i've got a little question about the root that's starting to grow. Is this just a regular root growing? Or could it possibly be a keiki growing? I'm a little new to dendrobiums, so bear with me :)

As for the cattleya, I'm not sure what it is at all. It has an incredibly strong fragrance of a similar flower. I think it's called a Hyacinths Muscari Scilla. If I'm correct that it's that flower, the orchid smells like that exactly.

Thank you for your help, and I hope you enjoy the pictures of the blooms as well :)

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I don't know what the Cattleya is, but the growth at the node in the last photo could be a keiki, since it is developing a root. I've only seen keikis on Phalaenopsis orchids, and those are quite different in structure. Functionally, it seems to be the same, since you should be able to obtain a clone of the parent plant.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. Rocker0For0Life

Rocker0For0Life New Member

Thanks both for your answers :) They helped a lot. :D If it is a keiki, I'd be so terribly excited! There are more than one places where the roods are growing from nodes, so I look forward to seeing more developments soon :)

Togata57 - Wow! Isn't that a rare flower? It's gorgeous! How would I figure out if it's a relative of, exactly? I'm just incredibly curious :) And thank you for the compliments, that made my day <3