Catalpas

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by mrtree, Jul 9, 2007.

1. mrtree

mrtree Active Member

I have found a catalpa in Belleville, Ontario that I have no idea about. Assumed it was southern Catalpa (C. bignonioides) because most in the area are Nothern Catalpa (C. speciosa).

The tree is small and quite different from Northern. Leaves (many) have three distinct lobes with sharp points, flowers are two weeks later than northern, yellow and tiny (maybe 1/4 size of northern), fruit pods are pencil thin and straight. Seeds are tiny with a pointy end below the fringe.

I would have said this was a southern (simply because we are in North America) except for the leaves and the tiny yellow flowers. Does anybody have experience with this genus or know of a good web source I can look at? I am wondering if this is one of the Asiatic species.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Catalpa ovata, from China. The three-lobed leaves, small yellow flowers, and late flowering all fit.

3. mrtree

mrtree Active Member

Well a quick look on the internet would indicate that this is the likely species. I have never heard of, or seen one in Canada (well anywhere actually)

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. mrtree

mrtree Active Member

I have never heard of it being a problem in Ontario so I will need to investigate.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Catalpa ovata 'Flavescens' is coming into bloom here in USDA 8.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Entirely yellow (see key at online NOS CATALPA PAGE) C. ovata 'Flavescens' flowering here now. There is one in a yard up my way, otherwise public land in Seattle has multiple specimens.