Catalpa Seeds

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Green is the color, May 5, 2006.

1. Green is the color

Green is the color Member

I have seeds from a northern catalpa and have had trouble getting any germination. I have tried planting them at various depths, pre-soaking the seeds, keeping them in humid conditions in sun, indirect sun, etc. etc. How do I get these to grow? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

From this site:
    http://tomclothier.hort.net/page10.html

"Catalpa speciosa, Western Catalpa, zone= 5, sow @ 70ºF"

This site, which takes a bit to understand, says to sow on the surface and not to cover. Germination can be slow and irregular as this symbol says ˆ .
    http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

Catalpa - HT - 14-30 days to germinate - Light to germinate ˆ 60-70*F - Peaty soil - Sow on surface - Give seedlings good ventilation to prevent damping off.

Hope that helps,
    Newt

3. Green is the color

Green is the color Member

Thanks Newt. This does help.

4. Newt

You're so very welcome! Good luck with your seeds.

Newt

5. Montana Gardner

Montana Gardner Member

I am looking for information on germinating of Blue Atlas Cedar and Bloodgood Japanese Maple seeds. Thanks for the potential assistance. Montana Gardner

6. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi Montana--I've succeeded with cedrus (deodar in my case, but the atlas should work exactly the same). These are some of the touchiest of seeds to germinate without mold/damping off getting them, so here's what I do.

Soak seeds overnite, then dry them off on a paper towel until the husks are just turning whitish again (not moist to touch anymore). Then put them in a plastic bag in the fridge for a month or so, then bring them out into room temp and watch the seeds for sprouting. As they sprout over several weeks, press the emerging roots into the planting mix in small individual pots, leaving the seed above the surface. It will continue to root downward, and once the needles emerge from the seed, you are fairly safe to handle them like other seedlings. Keep the air moving around them, humidity low as in the house, and bright light...might need to spray with some fungicide if mold appears on anything.

Did I mention they are prone to mold :-)

7. Newt

Montana Gardener,

From the site I gave to Green is the color:
    http://tomclothier.hort.net/page10.html

Cedrus atlantica, Atlas cedar, zone 6, sow 2weeks @ 39ºF, move to 70ºF for germination.

Acer japonicum, Japanese maple, zone ?, sow 3months @ 39ºF, then remove seed coats and move to 70ºF for germination.

Newt