Castor Bean Winter Hardy in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by tiger_lily, Nov 9, 2010.

1. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

I just planted two castor bean plants (Ricinus communis) this past week. But I'm not sure, are they winter hardy in the Vancouver area? I am reading contradictory information about whether it is hardy in zones 8 & 9, which I think is roughly our local USDA hardiness zones.

I also hear that this will be a severe winter, as the snow on the local mountains yesterday morning would also suggest.

Any advice? Should I dig one up, and overwinter it in the basement, or risk leaving them both out for the winter? They don't have seeds yet, so I don't have that option if I lose them.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

They will not survive a winter outdoors here. They barely thrive in our cool summers. They are usually planted from seed and grown as annuals in northern areas.

3. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

No harm in trying - if you have the room. I don't think they can handle anything lower than -3C or -5C. Mine was looking pretty bad after those temps.