Identification: Castilleja in Manning Park, Heather trail

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Nadia White Rock, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

I never saw Castilleja in our forest, maybe it is only mountain flower. On the Heather Trail in Manning Park there are so many Castilleja flowers. They look the same and different at least by color
    pink or rose,
    1. 146 pink.jpg 2. 194 pink.jpg
    white
    3. 120 white.jpg 4. 200 white.jpg 5. 218 white.jpg
    and red
    6. 153 red.jpg 7. 161.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

I will be interested in what species these are ID'd as, too. I see the same variety of colours (full range of pink shades, to white, to bi- and tri-colours) in the alpine zone here and have not been disciplined enough to key them out... Castilleja rhexifolia is one, I know, among the 11 others plus hybrids that are said to occur here. (The only one I'm reasonably sure of is the lowland species, C. miniata, with it's range of orange to red-orange flowers.)

3. Nadia White Rock

I am not familiar with Castilleja at all. I read about it but saw only in UBC and VanDusen gardens, first time in nature. Would be very helpful to distinquish at least any of them

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Linear-leaved ones are likely Castilleja miniata, lobe-leaved ones are likely Castilleja parviflora var. albida.

5. Nadia White Rock

It doesn't help. What pictures number refers to these ID's?

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmm.. not sure why it doesn't help, other than I maybe should have said linear-lanceolate instead of linear.

Look at the leaves on the stems of the plants in each of the pictures. In 1, 2, 6, and 7 the leaves are simple and unlobed. In 3, 4, and 5 the stem leaves are lobed.

In this instance, this _happens_ to correlate with the bract colour (not flower colour) of the two species, but one should avoid making conclusions about Castilleja identification based on colour of the floral bracts.

7. Nadia White Rock

8. Nadia White Rock

OK, I see now when I enlarge image, I thought there are several leaves. Thank you