Carrot germination time

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, May 28, 2008.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Carrot germination time.
    http://ficosae.notlong.com/ 28 May 2008 Carrots germinated in 12 Days.

These carrot seeds, four varieties, were planted on the 15 of May. Almost all have germinated. They were planted at the same depth on toilet paper laid in the rows and lightly covered with fine compost. I watered lightly, daily. The temperatures were cool at night and full sun during the day, when the sun was present.

Last night 27/28 May there was frost in many areas around Toronto. Our temperature went to 3C, but I see no frost damage, and the sun is brightly shining this morning. We will have no further frost until the Fall season. It has been a most cool Spring.

Carrots march to the beat of their own drummer. They may not germinate if the soil is too warm, above 80F. I have had them germinate in 11 days and in other cases 21 days, and in some cases not at all.

2. Durgan

http://phahgo.notlong.com/ 25 June 2008 Carrots Thriving.

I took over the portulaca flower bed, much to the chagrin of my wife, but I told her it would be beautiful with the large carrot vegetation, and the carrots would be easy to pull. Needless to say, I had to tediously remove the small self-seeding portulaca from amongst the tiny carrot plants.

3. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Durgan, aren't the carrots crowded? Shouldn't they be thinned to a 2" seperation so that they can grow with size underneath? It is what I have read through research, and am growing as a method myself. Maybe you have photos of past success with your current method showing size of carrots?

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

We certainly thinned for large carrots when i was young. It also helped them to grow straight and not multi rooted. A trick I use is to plant the seeds thinnly so there is no need to thin a great deal. I now grow minein pots as I have trouble getting down. Putting sand with a packet of seeds will also spread them a little more thinly.

Liz

5. Durgan

I have noticed if the carrots are separated in very loose soil ( marshy) the plants can almost be touching. This was first observed in the Holland Marsh area, where carrots are grown commercially. The carrots in the row are so close that one can pull about 10 by grasping the tops in one hand, and they are absolutely perfect. My soil is very loose, so I am attempting the same approach. In relatively heavy soil, the carrots cannot expand properly, so they intertwine if too close.

6. Liz

Durgan that is what we had heavy soil. Same as I have here Basalt clay. Are you growing baby carrots or what I think are called Dutch carrots.

Liz

7. Durgan

I am growing three varieties, the vanilla type from local seeds rack. The soil is about 14 inches deep, and is almost marsh soil- meaning a finger can almost be pushed in with little effort, when damp. The types are Imperator, Tendersweet, Chantenay.

The small carrots in the Supermarket are machine made and soaked in chlorine to preserve them, and the little housewife buys them. They turn slimy after a few days as the clorine disappears. Pure garbage, but convenient. There is no such thing as a baby carrot. There are immature carrots not the same thing.

http://zieshu.notlong.com Reference.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  8. CapeBretonGardener

CapeBretonGardener Member

I have an odd problem when growing carrots. Last year I grew some but for some strange reason horsetail weeds grew there and only there in the entire garden. I did manage to get a few carrots though. This year I changed the location of the carrots and horsetail is back again. Same as last year this is the only spot with that weed in it, but unlike last year many more carrots germinated.

9. Durgan

My experience about carrot germination is: The seeds are usually all viable, and temperature and mositure are most important. I have a thermometer in the garden soil, and it is amazing just how high the temperature can get at the soil surface on a sunny day. Carrots will not germinate above 80F.

I prefer to plant carrots in slightly shady area of the garden if possible, and water with a can several times each day. The seeds must not be allowed to dry out to insure full germination. Also work the soil well to eliminate weeds, and to have soft soil to about a foot depth. One year I actually strained the soil through a half inch mesh, and planted in a rectangle af about 9 square feet- a lot of carrots with no crowding, and no wasted path space. Carrots are the only vegetable that I like to plant in this manner.

10. CapeBretonGardener

Thanks for the advice. Durgan I have been reading these forums for awhile now and your tips and pictures inspired me to do my own veggie garden, thanks again.

11. CapeBretonGardener

Any advice on growing beets? I am growing them now them seems to do doing fine but I can always improve.

12. Liz

I can't help with beet except they are fairly easy. BUT re the carrots. I could not get them to germinate and the main reason was I planted them too deep. That is made furrow then raked them in. Method I received from the old sage (father) was try putting a dribble of soil over the furrow with your hands pat down and water. Bingo success.

Liz

13. Durgan

So true. They should probably left on top of the ground and simply patted in.

14. Durgan

Beets grow easily, and usually have close to 100% germination. To speed them up soak overnight in water, but wet they are a bit difficult to separate the seeds. If wet lay them out on a dinner plate to prevent the seeds clinging together, while planting.

Note: With most garden seeds beware of soil crusting after a rain. To prevent this a piece of burlap can be laid over the row of seeds. This issue depends upon your soil type. Clay is the worse for forming a hard crust, when the sun comes out after a rain. Sometimes small seeds cannot break through this crust, and fail to grow. Also the soil can be kept slightly damp to prevent the crust from forming, but this is sometimes difficult.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  15. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Durgan, I will allow the carrots to grow closer next year, with more volume planned. My carrots are in a raised bed with excellant drainage.
    As for the garden, it will be totally redone. I am only 40% efficient with garden space this year. First serious year. Next year will be the year of excellant planning and implementation.

16. Durgan

The main issue is that I only get one chance each year, due to the length of the growing season. But it is most satisfying, when some change is implemented and great improvement results.

17. Durgan

18. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Durgan, is that dill mixed in with the carrots? I have dill around mine as well. My carrots are showing nice growth up top, but yours is showing superb growth. Almost ready by the looks of it. Another month?

19. Durgan