Carica vs. Vasconcella

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by lorax, Mar 17, 2008.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Okay, I've been doing research into Papayas and their relatives, and I've noticed that the genus Carica seems to have been liquidated, leaving C. papaya as its sole representative. Everything else has been partitioned off and moved to Vasconcella. The only data I can find is a vague reference to slight genetic differences between the two genera, but I can't find out exactly what that difference is that prompted the change.

Any clues?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Vasconcella

Can you get your hands on: Badillo, V. M. 2000. Carica L. vs. Vasconcella St.-Hil. (Caricaceae) con la rehabilitacion de este ultimo. Ernstia 10(2): 74-79.

Ernstia doesn't come up in the UBC library holdings / ejournal access.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'll ask at the QBC, perhaps they know or have a copy I could borrow. Thanks!

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Two more refs that might help:

Aradhya, M. K. et al. 1999. A phylogenetic analysis of the genus Carica L. (Caricaceae) based on restriction fragment length variation in a cpDNA intergenic spacer region. Genet. Resources Crop Evol. 46: 579–586.

Van Droogenbroeck, B. et al. 2002. AFLP analysis of genetic relationships among papaya and its wild relatives (Caricaceae) from Ecuador. Theor. Appl. Genet. 105: 289–297.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/genus.pl?2086
    http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/splist.pl?2086