Cana Lily

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by mammakim, Sep 23, 2007.

1. mammakim

mammakim Member

What are the little bulb things left when the flower dies? I thought it was planted from bulbs, and if they are some sort of seed what do you do with them to get them to grow? Thanks Kim

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Kim....you can seperate those bulbs if you like and plant them in different places or trade them. When I give other people some of my Canna's, I just dig them up and divide them

Ed

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Kim--you're probably thinking about the seeds left in the flower stalk after the blossoms have faded. They look like black peas...and are quite easy to germinate and grow into new plants. Keep these seeds dry and cool until you want to start them.

Then I would stick them in a ziploc of potting mix, and leave them above the fridge, for e.g. to keep them quite warm. Pot them up when they have begun to sprout, and grow on in a bright indoor location till weather settles down next spring.

Oh, and unless you have a good growlight, I wouldn't start this until maybe February, or it will be tough to keep the babies happy in the dark days of winter...they will catch up quickly come next spring and summer!

4. mammakim

mammakim Member

So then when I take the green things off there are seed things in there. Do I take the little seeds out of the green things? Thanks Kim

5. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Let the flower stalk ripen as much as possible, the seeds inside should be dark, maybe almost black, if they have ripened well. The seeds will start to fall out eventually, tho, so don't wait that long!

You could pick out the seeds as they ripen for that matter, or just cut off the whole stalk if you're looking to tidy up...

6. mammakim

mammakim Member

Thank you so much. Do you think that they will do well in a greenhouse thru the winter. We are in Old Fort NC. I just got the greenhouse and was not sure how they would do. Thanks for all of your help. Kim