can you tell me which hoya plant this is?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by cagreene, Feb 23, 2012.

1. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

I had taken a cutting from a nearly dead hoya plant that had been living a slow death in my church. The plant the cutting came from, had sparse leaves, one or two leaves every 4 feet of stem, with what looks like grey paint flecks on its leaves. the cutting that i took, rooted easily, and has been growing fast, but not as a vine. it appears to look more like a bush, with tight leaf joints, one atop of the other with very little or no space between leaf joints. I have been growing it in a 2 gal bucket, for just over 2 1/2 years and it has yet to flower. my other hoya is in my washroom, and loves the steam, hates direct sunlight and flowers often. this new one, doesn't like the steam, and is doing well under a grow lamp. why wont it flower, and what type of hoya is it?

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I am far from an expert on Hoya's but in my experience wide spaces between leaves means not enough light. Closely growing leaves mean good light. As to which one? The are many varieties, and it easier to ID them when they bloom. I'm guessing that yours is Hoya Carnosa as it's the one you see most. Check this link and look at some of the varieties. barb

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hoya+plant&qpvt=hoya+plant&FORM=IGRE

3. Furballs

Furballs Active Member

It could be H. carnosa Pink Silver. It's a hoya carnosa that has dark green leaves with 'silver', which is to say, grey, speckling on the leaves. They don't need or want sun, I've seen them grow like crazy with fairly minimal light. A local store near here with huge north facing windows has a gorgeous one at least ten or fifteen feet from the windows, though I don't know if it blooms. I keep mine about six feet from a west facing window. One main difference between carnosa and the other hoyas is the sap. Carnosa has clear sap, so far as I know, all the other hoyas have white sap, like ficus, for example. Hoya can be awfully funny about flowering. I had a Krimson Queen and Krimson Princess that bloomed from Feb. to Oct. constantly, perfuming my room with a chocolate scent, when most of the stems were not even three feet long. My Pink Silver has yet to bloom, and it's a constant complaint in many plant forums, that a hoya won't bloom. A friend of mine puts hers outside in a tree for the summer, where it does extremely well and flowers. Winter's it is indoors and doesn't flower. You can try feeding it, now the light levels are beginning to increase again, but some Hoya just don't flower until they feel like it. The fact your leaves are so close together may suggest it is getting a bit more light than it needs, so perhaps moving it to a slightly shadier location might help.. but not too much shadier. But I think they look nicer with denser foliage.

4. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

thank you for your reply. yes i think they look much nicer with lots of foilage too.