Can you identify this Convolvulaceae

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by cedartable, Dec 16, 2009.

1. cedartable

cedartable Member

This vine volunteered in a goose-pen in Bermuda. The flowers were reported to be white. I assume it is the developing fruit that is covered with the long hairs (see photo).

Can anyone suggest how it might have gotten into the goose-pen as a volunteer? To my knowledge it is not grown as an ornamental in Bermuda.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The part with puff has different leaves than the rest to the right.

3. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. cedartable

cedartable Member

Thank you. I've checked out the link and other sites. Your id looks consistent with what I've seen. Much appreciated.
    The seed is described as being approximately 2mm long. I wonder if it could have been in the goose feed? Or perhaps blown here.

5. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

That's a reasonable hypothesis. Any grain feed mix will be contaminated to some small degree with other locally grown plant matter, among other things.

If I were you, I'd eradicate this particular plant wherever it pops up. It looks like it will proliferate. Unfortunately, the plants profile information indicates that it is native to southeastern US and to Puerto Rico at minimum, so it may be very well adapted to your area.