Can someone tell me how to winter a masp Basjoo ?

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by BananaBob, Aug 15, 2005.

1. BananaBob

BananaBob New Member

We have started a masoo Basjoo banana Plant in a large container on our relatively small patio. It has grown nearly 3 feet in the last 8 weeks and is twice as broad as it was when we out it in the pot.. It is growing so fast and looks so good.. we are worried about how to protect it over our very wet winter in Vancouver. Any help is appreciated. Bringing it inside is not an option as our space is small. any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

I too had a Musa basjoo for a while. It is classed as a herbaceous perrenial here in Britain, even though it looks more like a small tree. Mine was kept in a large container on the patio. The first frosts usually blacken the foliage and it looks terrible but by wrapping the stem with a bundle of straw or even bubble wrap, the stem is protected and should rejuvenate in spring. I discarded my plant in autumn the first year as I thought it was dead. It sat in a sheltered part of the garden in its pot until the spring when, much to my surprise, new shoots appeared at the base. It has been wrapped in a bundle of straw for the last 2 winters now and each year it grows to around 6ft in height. Bringing it indoors does not work as Red spider mite seems to be a problem.