Can someone me identify this plant and the proper care?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tforrester, May 17, 2006.

1. tforrester

tforrester Member

Attached is a small plant that I have enjoyed for some time now, but recently it has fallen on hard times. I don't know what type it is and therefore I'm not certain if it is over or under watered or how much direct or indirect light it likes.

I'm also curious if a plant like this can be kept in a pot that does not have a drain hole in the bottom. Since they make pots without drain holes - I assume it must be OK to use them for certain plants? Thanks! -Tom

Attached Files:

2. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Looks like a Lady Palm, Rhapis excelsa. It prefers bright indirect light and likes well drained moist soil. Palms really need good drainage as they hate wet feet and readily absorb excess salts that they can't use, depositing them in their leaf tips causing the leaves to brown from the tips. If your pot doesn't have a drainage hole than that's your problem.

3. tforrester

tforrester Member

thank you very much. I am going to change the pot to one with better drainage holes and possibly put some gravel in the bottom. any particular gravel do you recommend? Tom