Can I prune my Calamondin back to one main branch so it goes from shrub to tree?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by highwaykind, Mar 4, 2013.

1. highwaykind

highwaykind Member

I got a Calamondin shrub last year that was all bent up through some trellis with the branches going up, down, crisscross and sideways.

I fixed that so all parts had more room and more light, and it's been doing OK.
    (It's been doing great in summer outdoors, but it's not in the ideal spot indoors.)

Can I trim everything apart from 1 main branch off so that it becomes much more like a tree?
    I attached a few pictures shot at a few different angles.
    I'm thinking of cutting off every branch apart from the one closest to the ground - since that also is the one that goes straight up and has new growth that's blooming.

I also need to repot/re-soil this. I'm pretty sure there is a bunch of toxic stuff in the soil from whatever they sprayed it with and I want to eat/make jam from the fruit. I'd like to put it in clean soil and give it some time to grow first.

What would be the best time to do this - few weeks before it goes outdoors? Before or after I prune it into a tree?

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It can be pruned as described. The tree will then channel its energy towards what remains.

I would repot the tree shortly before it normally shows active growth in the spring. This would allow the tree to recover from any root damage resulting from the repotting process. I would carry out the pruning at the same time.

3. highwaykind

highwaykind Member

Thank you!! Will do so.

4. Junglekeeper

Since the stems will be removed anyway, you may want to start air-layers on them so that you end up with additional trees. Another alternative is to simply make cuttings from them at the time they're removed from the tree.

5. Alexisstg

Alexisstg New Member

Wow, I did not know that one could multiply calamondins from simple cuttings. I ought to try that when mine gets old enough.

6. highwaykind

highwaykind Member

And I have a "tree" :) and no more ugly trellis. Yay.
    Not enough room for extra Calamondin's though, so I had to throw away the cuttings.

Most of my citrus collection is in the picture - please ignore my need to wash the windows.

Far left and far right are lemons that I both grew from seed last year at the same time. I'm guessing I used two different lemons because the right one is about twice as tall. Tiny one is a Mayer lemon that sprouted a few months ago.

Attached Files:

7. highwaykind

highwaykind Member

Update - tree is doing well :) Lots of new leaves and branches, and about 20 little calamondin fruits.

Attached Files:

8. Junglekeeper

Looking good. Thanks for the update.

9. e11e

e11e New Member

hi junglekeeper!

sorry for my ignorance but what is air-layers. i just bought calamondin and want to prune it. but I don't know when and how. i don't want it to die :(

here is my calamondin.

10330420_10153159614567394_6913127770276560476_n.jpg

10. Junglekeeper

I would hesitate to prune such a nice looking tree. If you're worried about the lack of branching, it will do so naturally in time.