Can I force hyacinths or bluebells on rocks (like paperwhites)??

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by fern2, Dec 29, 2007.

1. fern2

fern2 Active Member

I've got another question about forcing bulbs...

I know that the typical/Victorian way to force hyacinth bulbs is to suspend each one in its own tall, narrow-necked vase. But I think that's a bit silly given that they grow quite happily when clustered in the soil. So, assuming I don't do that, would it be possible to grow hyacinth (or bluebell) bulbs by placing them on a bed of small stones, spacing them widely, and carefully maintaining the water level so only the roots get/stay wet? Or, if using stones won't work, then what about simply putting the bulbs in soil? ...I can do that, right??

PS: if I decide to force either type of bulb, should I add a bit of alcohol to the water to stunt their growth (which is often suggested for paperwhites)??? Or is it unnecessary because they're not as tall & top-heavy as paperwhites?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thx.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If they can be forced in a hyacinth glass they can be forced in another container. However, bunched together in a low bowl there might be a problem with them falling over, in different directions.

3. fern2

fern2 Active Member

Thx. That's what I thought. I may try to set up the rocks so the bulb(s) are well supported and well spaced. Otherwise I'll either grow'em in soil or use bluebell bulbs instead.
    Now if I could only find some pre-chilled bulbs.... ;)

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe try a web search to see if you can find pictures of hyacinths in similar containers to those you are considering.

5. fern2

fern2 Active Member

Actually I already did that before posting and didn't come up with much (despite various keyword combinations). BUT while I was writing a reply to your post, I just tried ooooone more set of keywords and, lo & behold, I found a site that doesn't just vaguely refer to growing hyacinths on stones - and it sounds like this might actually work...
    So thanks RonB.