Medicinal: Can Camomile be transplanted

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by MannieBoo, May 2, 2009.

1. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I have some comomile plants growing in a grassy patch at the end of our dead end road, is it possibe t dig them up and transplant them into a corner of my own yard or should I wait for the seeds to mature?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yes, you can transplant them. Take a reasonable amount of soil with them and you won't have any problems.

3. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Thanks, I'll be lookng forward to some hme rown camomile tea this year.

4. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

You're sure they are Chamomile right? Did you grow this last year and these are self-sown seedlings or something? If not be sure it's not actually Pineapple Weed (leaves have sent of pineapple) or Dog Fennel AKA Mayweed Chamomile which when leaves are crushed is extremely foul smelling!

5. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I'm glad I decided to check back here before I dug up that plant in question. You are correct that it is the Pineapple Weed. I have a question regarding it, can it too be used for tea, I recall my mother picking it at a farm one year when I was little and she used to make tea after drying the yellow centers. Is is possible?

6. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

Yes, Pineapple Weed has been used for tea but have read once it flowers the flavor becomes bitter. If you google it I'm sure you'll find more info. I personally haven't tried it myself and pull every single plant out where it loves to grow on the side of the gravel road outside one of my beds. Pineapple weed has no ray flowers around the yellow center.

7. norrism80

norrism80 New Member

Ive been consuming them since i was five. My grandmother and i were in the yard and there was a bunch growing in the hard packed dirt next to the driveway, she told me they were chamomile and we had it in our tea every day. She walked me around the yard and showed me a bunch of wild growing plants and flowers we consumed on a regular bases as well as the herb garden. I'm 29 for the fifth year now and only Recently discovered they weren't chamomile when some seeds a friend gave me from their garden grew. I figured the size And everything different was just due to them having the benefit of cultivation. When the blooms opened i was confused as to why these feverfew (my friend obviously must have been mistaken) didn't have their hardy stem and didn't smell like feverfew does. I fairly quickly found out what the problem was.
    Transplanting- theoretically. They like horrible soil and don't have large root systems so try to take it in the soil it's in because it won't stand up easily if you have to replace it in the poor crumbly gravelly soil when you get it all where you want it. I'm currently trying to establish some i pulled out of solid hard packed gravel, and i cant tell you they don't like fertile soil, and they don't seem to like seed starting mix. Alkaline hard pack soil that sheds water and has no appearance of any life giving qualities or nutrients seems to be the choice. I'm going to move them to a patch of crushed concrete in the barren section in my yard today and see what happens.

8. norrism80

norrism80 New Member

I actually came here to try to find out what to do with these little weeds I'm trying to generously extend a space in my sheltered garden with luxurious soil for their roots to easily grow into and the ample nutrients and comfort, no more rocks blocking root growth or consuming what might settle out of the air or being deprived of life giving water cause it just flows off the soil, or tires crushing the poor plants because it was unlucky enough to land on the shoulder of the road as a seed. Typing about my grandmother teaching me about it as chamomile and eating it all my life i realized it's just a masochistic plant and hates anything lush or comfortable. Concrete it is. Btw i eat the buttons alone regularly. Last year i had a patch i moved into some harder clay soil (still fairly nutritive and not bad soil by any means i have several flowers and transplants there quite happily). It survived most of the season and parts became somewhat vibrant but they always turning lean with much of them dying, then most of then would grow vibrant, and then turn lean with some dying off. It went like that until early fall and the leaves of the pokers i have next to where they were fell over them and by the time i noticed they were a soggy mess. given last years very low level of success combined with this year they won't even establish themselves in lush potting soil trek tells me that i should try something more bland and inhospitable. Let's see what happens of i put them in A substance i would never think to put anything i wasn't trying t to kill and see what happens there.