Can anyone identify this trillium?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pmurphy, Apr 9, 2019.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

There was a gentleman here in Vancouver who collected rare and unusual plants and when he passed away these plants were given to me. Unfortunately the person who passed them along on his behalf only knew they were "trilliums".
    I've tried searching but none of the images seem to look the same, and I would like to put a name to them.

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

Thanks.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have never tried to identify a trillium, but do you think it looks different from Trillium chloropetalum that Nadia posted from UBCBG at April in the Garden - Rhododendrons (and more) ? I see that the flowers can be the colour of yours.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for your reply.
    I sort of think it might be Trillium chloropetalum except that all the images I found show mottled leaves; perhaps it's just another variation.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The Pacific Bulb Society at Pacific Bulb Society | Trillium Species One does describe it as having mottled leaves, but the middle photo, which I see is a cultivar called 'Volcano', doesn't have obviously mottled leaves. I found it interesting in reading the descriptions on the page to note what characteristics to look for.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.