Can anyone identify this tree?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by sgtmama, Jul 27, 2007.

1. sgtmama

sgtmama Member

My husband and I were recently in northern California and saw this lovely tree all over the place. Most of them were just beginning to bloom. We asked several people what they were and only one even guessed. I am attaching a picture of the tree and of the flower on the tree. vacation 486.jpg

vacation 483.jpg

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Corymbia ficifolia (syn. Eucalyptus ficifolia). Native to Australia, a very popular ornamental tree in warm regions (does not tolerate more than a couple of degrees below zero).

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Also is a bit dangerous as it likes to crack branches off when they get mature. But having said that they use them as street trees here in Melbourne. They are very beautiful and do come in a variety of colours. Also great for bees.

Liz

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

For the many readers likely to be misled by the unspecified temperature measuring system, "zero" in this instance means the freezing point, as in 32F/0C. The tree is not hardy to -2F.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Of course! It's the international global standard, and doesn't need that sort of explanation! No need to dredge up confusing archaic F nonsense!

6. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

The poster lives in Missouri. Like it or not, the Faheinheit scale is still commonly used in the US. Probably over 90% of US citizens can't relate to the Celsius scale. The International System of Units (SI) standard temperature scale is the Kelvin scale.

7. HolderBuilt

HolderBuilt Member

Right on - and the common name is red or scarlet flowering gum. Holderbuilt

8. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Exactly Liz they are beautiful however being shallow rooting trees they have a tendency to "fall over" or break off in high winds. As beautiful as they are i personally don't plant them or I cut them down (on my land) where i can for safety reasons. I had a 15 metre tree fall over about 4 years ago when we were renting and i had the music full boar and i could still hear the "crack". We were lucky it didn't hit the house or fence.

I love to look at them in someone elses backyard ;)

Ed

9. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you have the space like I have I have made mine as part of native plantings around my paddock edge. That way they are safe and have some support from wind with other shrubbery. The ones on the streets here seem to have been pruned tight so they don't get all the weight.
    I apologise for sending the incorrect page of pics the other day but please look at these if you are still interested "sgtmama"
    http://images.google.com.au/images?...countryAU&q=flowering+gums&btnG=Search+Images

Liz

10. sgtmama

sgtmama Member

Thanks to everyone for the information. I apreciate someone pointing out the -2 was C not F since I do live in the US! It does get confusing with some of us using different scales, but that's the way it is. :) The blooms on the tree were so beautiful I was interested in whether it would be possible to grow in Missouri. Since our temperatures frequently get quite low in the winter, it certainly would not have a chance here. Thanks again for all the help!