Identification: Can anyone identify this plant for me?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by parsagrosthy-garden, Jun 5, 2004.

1. parsagrosthy-garden

parsagrosthy-garden Member

I bought this plant at a flea market in Texas about 2 years ago. The seller had it marked "Bird's nest fern". I bought it b/c it is unusual. The leaves are shaped like a bnf, but that is the only similarity that I see. It has tough, thick, leathery leaves, flowers with a spath, and the roots show around the base. The plant has a "net" around the base, and each leaf has a net band around it. I like plants that are unusual and easy to grow--this one fits the bill. This is my first posting and I will try to attach my pictures. Otherwise I will try again.

Attached Files:

2. Katy

Katy Member

Hi!

It's seems to be an asplenium nidus, I hope it's that:)

Katy

3. parsagrosthy-garden

I don't think so

I have my doubts. From what I have read about asplenium nidus the leaves (fronds) would be uncurling--these don't. and this is fast growing. The nest is not in the center like on an asplenium nidus. This is more like a philodendron (the roots) or spathiphyllum (the spath). Remember, this has a spath coming out of it....isn't that a flower? The fern is not a flowering plant. Please someone...

4. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Hi there PG,
    I am fairly certain that what you have there is an Anthurium hookeri, and a beauty at that.

5. parsagrosthy-garden

thanks!

I think you are right! I have looked up Anthurium hookeri on the internet and I think that is it. I just repotted mine and I probably will kill it..I hope not. Thanks again.

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I've got several Anthurium hookeri in my atrium and this plant is quite different. Its definately an anthurium but I'm not certain of the species. Suggest you go to the International Aroid Society site and post the photo for ID. There are a number of experts that utilize that site including Dr. Tom Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden. Dr. Croat is the leading expert on anthuriums in this country and has written many papers on this group of plants. You can purchase one of his anthurium booklets by contacting the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis. I've seen quite a few large A. hookeri growing epiphitically (in trees) in the rainforests in the lower Caribbean and the leaves are quite different from your plant. If you have a photo of the spathe that would make the ID much easier. Steve Lucas

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2006
  7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

After a good deal of research, I'm certain this specimen is not Anthurium hookeri. Anthurium hookeri does not have the ruffled edges and can be identified with several main characteristics. First, the plant will have tiny black dots on the undersides of the leaves if it is A. hookeri. Second, the spadix will be bluish in color. And third, the berries produced on the spadix will be whitish in color if it is the true species. There are many hybrids in the U.S. being sold as "Anthurium hookeri" that have no genetic association with the species.

This link will show you a verified photo with more information including the scientific description:

http://www.aroidpictures.fr/LYON/anthhookeri.html