Camping Trip- North of Highway 17 in Ontario

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?YJEGP 22 July to 26 July 2008 Camping Trip. The end date was the 25 of July.

Neena and I camped on Crown land bounded by North Bay, Sudbury and Englehart, all North of Highway 17 part of the Trans-Canada highway in Ontario. A citizen of Canada can camp on Crown land for 21 days without a permit. About 87% of Ontario is Crown Land, and there is much access, due to the presence of logging trails past and present. There are many lake access points which are decidedly beautiful- first served basis.

The trip was a communicate with nature to some degree, and taking in what was available, avoiding civilization as much as possible. We hiked, swam, and ate basic food and breathed clean air, which is a decided change from the constant smog of Southern Ontario. It was a pleasure to see a few old growth White Pine, which were almost logged out during the ninteenth century. We saw one bear.

Mosquitoes were a constant companion, due to being wet this year. The weather was a bit cloudy but no rain, that was an inconvenience, even though I was prepared for that eventuality.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

So we can take it then that Nature answered?

3. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Mosquitoes! I remember them. Do they still exist? I have lived in beautiful British Columbia for so long, you see...

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Mosquitoes are everywhere, but I just accept them. A net made from plastic window screening sort of like a pillow case thrown over the head and body is sufficient when sleeping and walking. A camp smudge and wind also reduce mosquitoes to tolerable levels. It sort of depends on a persons tolerance for these beasts.

The general silence, and no people, clean air, and vista is most refreshing.

5. Durgan

Thanks for sharing your camping experience, especially the fire tower. Few remain in the Adirondacks today. Still once on a summit what a view. New York State picked the fire tower summits for this purpose.