Call to action re: Emerald Ash Borer

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

From Frank Telewski, Professor and Curator of the W. J. Beal Botanical Garden and Campus Arboretum, Michigan State University, as posted to the American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta Listserv:

2. you should let me know what the steps needed to fix the proplem are. That way i can write to the ones who run this country and tell them what they should be doing. It would be taken more seriously if it sounded intellegent.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

5. chuckrkc

chuckrkc Active Member

I understand Michigan has a thriving ash-growing industry to supply baseball bat manufacture and other hardwood needs. That industry has created a monoculture that is more at risk. More than 40,000 square miles affected in Michigan, Indiana, Ohip and Ontario. Does the borer affect other species?

I also fear Sudden Oak Death, since every subdivision in the past 40 years has planted hundreds of oak trees. I fear this could wipe trees out in neighborhoods much like Dutch Elm Disease did during my childhood. My fingers are crossed, but I don't think Sudden Oak Death has reached Missouri yet. It perfers the moister climes of California and Oregon, I think. However, I think it also affects rhododendrons, so there are two important vectors for its spread.