California nursery trip...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by yweride, Apr 14, 2006.

1. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

I need help coming up with garden centers and nurserys to visit while in California. I'am trying to plan a trip down from Oregon, but dont know any good nurserys or garden centers in California that are worth visiting. Hopefully, some of you can share your favorites.
    Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Look at ads in 'Pacific Horticulture' magazine.

3. Layne Uyeno

Layne Uyeno Active Member 10 Years

What part of California?

Layne

4. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Since you created this thread in the Maples forum, the following small nurseries specializing in Japanese maples or Asian maples are members of the Maple Society and are in Northern California:
    Miyama Asian Maples, Laytonville, CA, 95454, (707) 984-8314 (visitors by appointment only)
    Momiji Nursery 2765 Stony Point Road Santa Rosa, CA 95407 (707) 528-2917
    Mountain Maples, Laytonville, CA 95454-1329 (888) 707-6522 (visitors by appointment only)
    If you are interested in gardens and rare plants from around the world, I would not miss the University of California Botanical Garden in Berkeley, CA. Quarryhill Botanical Garden in Sonoma, CA specializes in flora from Asia, so they have a number of Asian maples, which are rare in North America. Again you will need an appointment to visit this garden. The San Francisco Botanical Garden at Strybing Arboretum in Golden Gate Park is so beautiful, including a blue understory in the Asian garden in May. Just this weekend, I heard that the Conservatory, which underwent extensive renovation, is spectacular. Of course, the professionals and staff of these gardens could guide you to favorite nurseries and garden centers in the area, and some of the gardens have plant sales in the coming weeks if you time it right. All of the gardens and nurseries mentioned have great websites with further information.