British Columbia: California Fan Palm in Victoria?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by CountryPalms, Jun 8, 2010.

1. CountryPalms

CountryPalms Member

Is it possible to grow a California Fan Palm (Washingtonia Filifera) in Victoria or possibly even Salt Spring Island? I know these palms grow really fast and really large so I would love to try them.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, people are often able to manage these for some years - until it gets too cold. For lasting results choose a Trachycarpus instead.

3. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Yes, I have one in my front garden - southern exposure and well-drained soil, of course. If you grow one, you must be prepared to invest a lot of time protecting it in the cold weather - sustained temps below -5. I've had mine for 2 years, and it barely came out of the winter of 2008-2009. It bounced back last summer, though, and looks great now. It helps too that it's Washingtonia filifera, not robusta. Very important point with both - make sure they don't get their feet wet! That will kill them even in the summer. If you like the look of them, it's worth growing them, even if they only survive for a few years.

4. CountryPalms

CountryPalms Member

Thanks for the help! I'm obviously not expecting something you would see on the streets of Los Angeles but I like that they are faster growers than Trachys.