Calcitic Limestone

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by PlantMarker, Nov 10, 2006.

1. PlantMarker

PlantMarker Member

Hi Folks -

I live in NW N.C. and I am looking for a source for calcitic limestone. I am having no luck, thusfar. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

PlantMarker

2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Well, calcite is calcium carbonate (CaCo3) and limestone is simply rock that is made up of calcite. So, the term "calcitic limestone" is somewhat redundant.

Perhaps it is phrased that way so as to distinguish it from dolomitic limestone? Dolomite is calcite with magnesium in the crystal structure (CaMg(C03)2), and rock made up of dolomite is also called dolomite or dolostone. Dolomitic limestone is a mix of calcite with dolomite (as opposed to pure dolostone).
    I hope this helps.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I had a similar problem finding the simple calcitic lime a few years back...it used to be the common product available in garden centres, but is now rarely seen. Everything sold to homeowners here seems to be dolomite type...which is great if that's what you need!

I solved it here by going to a nursery/landscape supplier, which here will sell to the public as well as tradespeople...do you have such a place near you? Ask a professional gardener/landscaper where they buy their fertilizers/lime, that will probably put you onto a source in your area.