cactus in a bowl

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tbird, Jun 8, 2013.

1. tbird

tbird Member

A friend of mine recently gave me a small (rootless?) cactus that sits on top of some crystals in a glass sphere with an opening you can reach into, and it hangs from a plastic string. I am not sure how to water it--I think she said either to "give it a few drops of water occasionally" or "just squirt it with water." Has anyone ever heard of this?

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

I know about this, is it something like yours? Do you have a photo?
    Cacti like good ventilation and die easily in humid, stagnant air. Items like these are not designed to last, and if you want the plant to survive you should take it out and plant it in a normal pot.

3. tbird

tbird Member

No, yours I think is different. Mine is not "planted" in anything--I can reach my hand in the hole in the side and pick it up. My husband does photos, so when he comes home, I will send one. Thanx for your help, tho.

4. tbird

tbird Member

Here are the photos--different than yours, no?

Attached Files:

5. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

That's a variant I haven't seen before. The plant is not a cactus, but something from the family Crassulaceae, like Echeveria, Aeonium or something similar (N.B. I'm really bad at identifying non-cactus succulents). Still, that sphere looks unsuitable for a succulent plant. Crystals? And probably no roots? I would take it out and take a closer look at it. If if doesn't have any roots I would try to root it in a more conventional growing medium before deciding what to do next.

6. tbird

tbird Member

Ok, that sounds good; I'll try it. Thanks for your help.