Identification: Cactus ID

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Michael98, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Michael98

Michael98 New Member

Kindly help me identify this cactus. It's my first one and am keen to know how to care for this specific genus.

Attached Files:

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

I see something that looks like dried up flowers between the tubercles, which makes me think Mammillaria. Some of them have hooked spines like yours, which should narrow it down (there are many Mammillaria species). Obviously grafted to something, but it doesn't look like the usual Hylocereus (an epiphytic cactus genus), but something from a more arid climate.
    I think it should be fine with general cactus care, i.e. water when warm and sunny and let it dry out before watering again. The soil looks fine. The pot is slightly big, but that is not necessarily a problem in a hot climate.
    I wonder why it is grafted. There are a few Mammillaria that are difficult to grow on their own roots, but I would detach one of the offsets and try to root it. Plants grafted on a relatively long, thin grafting stock tend to become top heavy over time.

3. Michael98

Michael98 New Member

Thank you for the response! I will try propagating the pups soon.

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

I read something recently: there are some Mammillaria species from Baja California with dark, hooked central spines, and they have a reputation for being difficult in cultivation (blossfeldiana is one, I think you can see the resemblance). If it is one of them it might explain why it is grafted.