Propagation: cactus cuttings

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by chilipepper, Sep 30, 2010.

1. chilipepper

chilipepper Active Member

I bought a grafted cactus with lots of pups so I plucked them off to plant. I placed them in a tub of dry sand. its been 2 weeks and nothing seems to have happened, it doesn't look weak nor any stronger, just exactly the same as when I just planted them. How do I make them root faster?

any help would be appreciated!

2. scelestian

scelestian Member

Hi,

What kind of grafted cactus do you have? Is it the top portion that is "pupping" or the rootstock portion? If it is the top portion and they are odd colors like bright orange or red, the chances that these will root and survive are extremely minimal. These brightly colored cactus need the green rootstock to survive, as they can not photosynthesize on their own.

Hope this helps

3. chilipepper

I have lots of Rebutia, 1 Mammilaria and 1 unknown. no red ones. also they are all pups.

4. scelestian

scelestian Member

Okay. Well those should root successfully, don't give up on them yet. For my cactus cuttings, I like to make sure the soil stays warm and I also give them some water once a week, just enough to moisten the soil. Once it dries I give them water again. It usually takes around 10 to 15 days to initiate some roots. Some species are faster and some are slower, just depends on the plant. Good things happen to those who wait :-)

5. chilipepper

do I need to make a cut in the bottom of the cutting as mine are just simply plucked off so there is no wound.

6. scelestian

scelestian Member

Wounding is not necessary for root initiation, adventitious roots should form regardless (there is already a minor wound where the attachment to the mother plant was broken). However, if you do make a wound, you will need to let the wound form a scar before sticking it into the soil. If you do not let the scar properly form, the chances of the base rotting are much greater.

7. Laura Shattuck

Laura Shattuck Member

I have spread cactus before, are you using straight sand? I replant my starts outdoors, and I have found that they like rather ordinary soil. Most of the ones I've planted and survived, which started without roots, were placed in pots of soil from my yard.
    I water them heavily, planting the starts, and then do not water them again until they are very dry. The roots grow as they follow the water in the drying soil.

If they are going to stay potted, try using 50-50 sand soil mix. They really like that.

You could also try rooting hormone. Rootone is good. It comes in a powder and is very easy to use.

8. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Using garden soil is a great way to introduce pathogens to your plant.
    Think nematodes, fungi, bacteria. Better to use potting mix unless the
    plant is native to the soil in your area.

9. chilipepper

thanks everyone, my cactus are now rooting!