C. controversa 'Candlelight' size and habit

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by emery, Mar 3, 2008.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

Anyone growing this? I'm wondering if it will be spreading, upright, a dwarf... I have a 125/150 cm coming in a few days, thinking about planting situation.

Thanks

-E

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Since there seems to be a lack of information about this plant, and not even many pictures, I thought I'd post a few.

It has large, healthy leaves. Not much stem growth but cornus tends to take a couple of years to establish here. The first picture is of leafing out. The plant in this state is very striking, from mid distance the leaves appear as bracts or blooms because of the cream colour. They then fade to a very soft creamy green.

As might be expected very sensitive to burn. I've got this in a corner where it
    only gets a little late afternoon sun and is otherwise in deep shade. But after one
    very hot day -- I actually got sunburned on my arms from sitting on the lawnmower -- the younger leaves are showing significant scorch. Luckily the more mature leaves are holding up well.

-E

Attached Files:

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you know who originated or introduced it they may have descriptive information on the internet or elsewhere.