Burnaby

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Mayling Chang, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Mayling Chang

Mayling Chang Active Member

First posting in 2008

Hi there,

Please find some photos from the Sussex Avenue between Imperial St. and Rumble
    St. in Burnaby. Those cherry trees are in blossom. Best Regards. Mayling & Willy

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Accolade

Looks like the Whitcomb cherry.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Sure we have friends in Burnaby, and Scouts too. We'll start with one thread for the whole city, then see if there's enough activity to split it into areas.

4. wcutler

Pretty near the Sussex location, on Nelson south of Imperial, there are a couple of Whitcombs out now, and it looks like Akebonos will be out in a couple of weeks on both sides of the street.

There's a block of young Akebonos on Hedley Ave, south of Rumble, at the edge of the park, between Clinton and Portland Sts.

5. Mayling Chang

Here are two photos taken in the neighbourhood of Edmonds, east Burnaby.
    Status: whitcomb in 90% blooming. Thank you. Mayling & Willy

Attached Files:

6. Mayling Chang

Sometimes we drove and saw cherry trees on the roads but felt regret without a camera to capture the beauty. However, these locations are close to the Boundary not far from my residence, so, we returned again and met a lady who had also come back the 2nd time that day.

Reported date: April 13, 2008

1. Location: Chesham Ave between Burke and Bond St.

20080413_Chesham_Akebono_SU_136_3642.jpg 136_3646.jpg 20080413_Chesham_Akebono_SU_136_3647.jpg

2. Location: Patterson at 5400

20080413_Patterson_Akebono_SU_136_3650.jpg

3. Location: Patterson at 5575
    Status: Three Somei-Yoshino at their peak (pale pink), and by the side of one Akebono at 80%.

20080413_Patterson_Yoshino_SU_136_3656.jpg 20080413_Patterson_YoshinoAkebono_SU_136_3657.jpg
    20080413_Patterson_YoshinoAkebono_SU_136_3660.jpg 20080413_Patterson_YoshinoAkebono_SU_136_3661.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  7. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Eastside of Central Park

Tai Haku started blooming at the corner of Imperial and Willingdon.

20080417_Willingdon&Imperial_Taihaku_Izaki 006.JPG 20080417_Willingdon&Imperial_Taihaku_Izaki 009.jpg 20080417_Willingdon&Imperial_Taihaku_Izaki 010.jpg

There are several Umineko trees on both side of Willingdon.

20080417_Willingdon&Patterson_Umineko_Izaki 004.JPG 20080417_Willingdon&Patterson_Umineko_Izaki 005.JPG

Avium Plena? On Patterson opposite side of Pitch and Putt Parking.
    It has double flowers. It's not as big as wild single Avium Plena trees.

20080417_Patterson&wilson_Avium Plena_Izaki 015.jpg 20080417_Pattersson&Wilson_AviumPlena_Izaki 016.jpg

There are many Akebonos around there, too.

20080417_PattersonAve_Akebono_Izaki 003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  8. wcutler

Mariko, I think the Avium plena? is a Shirotae. Avium plena trees are often larger than the single Aviums (well, yes, I know they have to start small, but I've never seen a young one - I probably wouldn't recognize it). The blossoms are smaller than Shirotae, have more petals, the sepals have some purple in them and they curl back the way single Aviums do so there often isn't the star effect on the back of the flowers. And they're not close to being out yet in the West End. I've added two photos to the Avium plena thread in the Cherry Cultivar IDs Forum.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Prunus avium 'Plena' same as P. avium* except for petal count, including tall habit with vertical trunk(s) running up through the center. Tree shown has habit (and flowers) of 'Shirotae'.

*A variable species

10. eteinindia

Wendy and Ron, you are right! They are Shirotae.
    Today I went to check again and now I understand.
    They are between the woods and Buildings and a bit slower than nearby Shirotae and were at the early stage of blooming.

20080422_Burnaby_Shirotae._Izaki 016.JPG 20080422_Burnaby_Shirotae_Izaki 015.JPG

Today I found 3 small Kiku-shidare-Zakura in front of the condos named "Park Ave. Towers" at 4134 & 4194 Maywood St.

20080422_Burnaby_Kiku-Shidare-Zakura_Izaki 007.JPG 20080422_Burnaby_Kiku-Shidare-Zakura_Izaki 010.JPG 20080422_Burnaby_Kiku-Shidare-Zakura_Izaki 008.JPG

Tai Haku at the corner of Imperial St. & Willingdon St. are in full bloom now.
    Also Ukon at the same spot just started to bloom.

20080422_Burnaby_TaiHaku._Izaki 022.JPG 20080422_Burnaby_Ukon_Izaki.JPG 20080422_Burnaby_Ukon._Izaki 025.JPG

Umineko is finishing on Willingdon St.

20080422_Burnaby_Umineko_Izaki 004.JPG 20080422_Burnaby_Umineko_Izaki 005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2011
  11. wcutler

These Kanzans on Union going both directions from Esmond (one block east of Boundary), facing west, then east. I had no idea they were there, but I could see them from several blocks west of Boundary, so I just kept driving toward them.
    20080430_UnionEsmondW_Kanzan_Cutler_5402cr.jpg 20080430_UnionEsmondE_Kanzan_Cutler_5404cr.jpg

Several Amanogawas line the street on Douglas west of Halifax, outside the Masonic Cemetary. One is dead and another is being taken over by its Avium rootstock, but the others look pretty nice. I thought they were a little wide for Amanogawa, but by then I'd seen the ones Anne posted in the Cultivars ID forum and they look pretty similar to that, so unless someone says those aren't Amanogawa, that's what I'm calling these.
    20080430_DouglasHalifax_Amanogawa_Cutler_5407r.jpg 20080430_DouglasHalifax_Amanogawa_Cutler_5411r.jpg

12. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Re: Burnaby Central Park - Ukon and Tai Haku

At the South-East corner of Central Park is a beautiful garden of cherries and other spring flowers. There are 3 large Ukon and 1 Tai Haku along Imperial, and several more Tai Haku inside the golf course fence.
    Although the overall appearance of the Ukons is only discreetly yellowish, in closeup many of the flowers were distinctly striped with kool-aid green.

The last 2 photos are of a nearby young Tai Haku where Willingdon meets Patterson.
    We noticed that the pronounced pink centres on the older flowers was not from the petals (which stay white) but the red stamens and the centre of the sepals. Once the petals start to fall, the rest of the sepal seems to change quickly from green to red.

Attached Files:

13. wcutler

Re: Burnaby Central Park - Ukon and Tai Haku

I love the description, Teresa. Check out the currently named "Not-a-Ukon" thread in the Cultivar IDs forum. Mariko thinks they're Gyoiko and has some links to post to support her theory, though we've considered that before and were skeptical. We'll get the links posted soon.

14. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Nine young Serrulas at 6677 South Oaks Crescent, Burnaby, across from the Nikkei Heritage Centre. From Kingsway eastbound past Gilley Avenue, there are two access points since South Oaks loops around back to Kingsway. Make a right turn at the 2nd South Oaks (off to your left South Oaks becomes Sperling). The Serrula grove comes up very shortly on your right.

Attached Files:

15. eteinindia

Autumn Colours in November

Autumn in 2008 was warm and beautiful.
    We could enjoy autumn colours on November 14.
    I didn't take photos in spring but I believe they are Shirofugen.

Attached Files:

16. eteinindia

Re: Burnaby - FIRST POSTING FOR 2009

First posting in 2009

Whitcomb Started to Bloom

Whitcombs around the condo at the corner of McKay & Kingsborough Blvd started to bloom.

20090317_Mckey&Kingsborough_Whitcomb_Izaki 006a.JPG 20090317_Mckey&Kingsborough_Whitcomb_Izaki 004a.jpg 20090317_Mckey&Kingsborough_Whitcomb_Izaki 003a.JPG

The one at the corner of the parking is a bit slower than the ones around the condo.

20090317_Mckey&Kingsborough_Whitcomb_Izaki 011a.jpg 20090317_Mckey&Kingsborough_Whitcomb_Izaki 012a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  17. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Such wonderful pics. You are a bit further North than I. But, maybe this mean there is really Spring coming somewhere? I am soooooo tired of rain, cold wind, and generally crappy weather. barb

18. Dingren

Dingren Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Friends in North Burnaby told us about the blooming cherry trees in their neighborhood, so we went for a look. And lo behold! What a fantastic sea of flowers in Cliff, Belcarra and Malibu area! For more pictures, click on this slide/video.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  19. Dingren

Dingren Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

On Sperling Ave., we saw a few perhaps Somei-Yoshino (we failed to find any staminode) and many Uminekos lining the street. In the quiet small street of Grant Place, the pinkish white Akebonos form such a beautiful canopy! For more pipctures, click on this slide/video.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  20. eteinindia

Dingren, there are such beautiful Akebono spots in Burnaby!!
    They are really beautiful.

I went to Southoak Cr. on April 16. There are more than 100 Akebonos in rows.
    But they are much younger than yours and some are pollarded and not good shape.

There are Birch bark cherries Anne found in front of New Sakura-So. but they are not started blooming yet. I wonder why they planted Chinese cherry in front of the Japanese-Canadian's Senior Home. There are some Chinese-Canadian, too?? Or they are Japanese Hill cherry???
    There are white Pendulas in the garden of Nikkei Center (Japanese community center).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  21. eteinindia

April 26, 2009
    There is a small park at the SE corner of Central Park. (Imperial St. & Willingdon Ave.)
    1 Tai-Haku and 4 Ukons were very beautiful and there are 3 Tai-Hakus in side the fence of Pitch & Putt. They were same condition on April 28.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  22. eteinindia

May 14,2009
    When I was driving along Central Park I saw trees like Prunus emarginata (bitter cherry, native to BC) on Patterson Ave., so I parked and checked.
    There are 2 places of real P. emarginata, totally 3 trees.
    20090514_PattersonAve&CentralPark_Emarginata&Apple,_Izaki 006.JPG 20090514_PattersonAve&CentralPark_Emarginata&Apple,_Izaki 008.JPG
    The first picture looks like 2 trees but right side is a branch of the left tree.
    In one tree in left part , leaves are rather smaller than others.
    20090514_PattersonAve&CentralPark_Emarginata&Apple,_Izaki 005.JPG 20090514_PattersonAve&CentralPark_Emarginata&Apple,_Izaki 007.JPG 20090514_PattersonAve&CentralPark_Emarginata&Apple,_Izaki 011.JPG
    The other place looked like P. emarginata was an apple tree, I believe.
    It has very large flowers.
    20090514_PattersonAve&CentralPark_Emarginata&Apple,_Izaki 012.JPG 20090514_PattersonAve&CentralPark_Emarginata&Apple,_Izaki 017.jpg

When I drove around I found Pink Perfections after the peak bloom near Patterson & Mayberry. There are about 15 small trees in a small park and a few more in the yard of Condo at the north of the small park.
    20090514_Patterson&Mayberry_PinkPerfection_Izaki 001.jpg 20090514_Patterson&Mayberry_PinkPerfection_Izaki 002.jpg
    20090514_Patterson&Mayberry_PinkPerfection_Izaki 004.jpg 20090514_Patterson&Mayberry_PinkPerfection_Izaki 008.jpg 20090514_Patterson&Mayberry_PinkPerfection_Izaki 009.jpg
    After the peak bloom some of the leaf-like things in the flower opened but dark pink center part stayed as it was.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
  23. Tarja

Tarja Member

SFU cherries are blossoming

These pictures were taken during the last 3 days. They are located across from Strand Hall at SFU next to Academic Quadrangle (AQ).

Attached Files:

24. wcutler

I thought so - a grove of about 20 trees, all Shirofugens except for three Pink Perfections off in the corner that show up in the foreground of Tarja's second photo. Campus was almost deserted, but the one guy I found to ask where the cherries were knew right away what I was asking about.

Attached Files:

25. wcutler

First posting 2010

On Nelson, running south of Imperial for at least four blocks are maybe teenage or a bit older 'Akebono' on both sides of the street.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010