bunch of cut roses growing in vase

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by charlie, Aug 11, 2009.

1. charlie

charlie Member

A bunch of roses I bought for my wife a few months ago seem to have died, well, at least the flowers do but they seems to be shooing new growth from the sides. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how i could get them to root maybe and transfer them to the garden. and do i chop the head of or leave them as they seem to be dying from the top down. and if they will grow, would they flower like the flowering heads did originally? would appreciate some feed back, many thanks for your time.

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Never heard the like before Charlie..lucky you if they 'take'.

I would prepare a small portion of garden a few inches x a few inches, better still put in a pot and see what happens, or leave and see if growth will continue hydrophonically ( in water).

Keep us posted charle and welcome to Botanical Garden Forums.

3. charlie

charlie Member

Hello Katalina, thank you for your reply. thing is which i should have mentioned is that there are no actual roots on forming on the bottom of the stem, we have had this happen before and i changed the water and they withered within a week or so. just wondering if there is anyway to graft them as they don't seem to want to produce roots under the water. the fact they have been in a shaded place since i bought them i guess is helping the growth. i would appreciate any more ideas, thanks again.

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Deadhead and insert deeply in potting soil in a pot or loose (sandy) soil in shaded area outdoors. Should be covered to prevent dessication until rooting takes place, yet protected from sun striking covering (such as clear plastic) and cooking them. Search internet for rose propagation, rose cuttings etc. for more information.

If a greenhouse grown or imported florist cultivar won't necessarily make a good garden plant in GB.

6. charlie

charlie Member

thank you both for your kind replies, i will give them a try and have a look at the websites. kind regards, charlie

7. jeremyshardasfuc

jeremyshardasfuc Member

hey did you find a way to continue growing the roses because i have a same situtation

8. charlie

charlie Member

hello Jeremy, no i didn't do anything at all to them and the shoots are about 10" noiw, only put them in a determinant shaded place and topped up the vase. i shall look later to see if there are any roots and if so transplant them one of them to a pot to see if it takes, there are about four of them, they are in the cool shade by the way by the side of the house where the wind cant bite

9. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Roses are easy to make cuttings from. I would do as Ron suggested. Sandy potting mix or if there is a propogation mix. Keep them damp as they are used to the water medium and see what happens.

Liz