"Bumping" posts

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The volume of posts in some forums is getting to the point where if a question isn't addressed within a couple days, it scrolls off the main page.

If this occurs (and you are a registered member), it is acceptable to "bump" your post by replying to it with the message *bump* (or something similar). This will move your post back to the top of the heap and display it on the front page again. Courtesy requires that this be done at a minimum of 24 hours after the post was originally made, with longer intervals after that if it still isn't addressed.

2. grdnstff

grdnstff Active Member 10 Years

'bumping' posts

hey, eric .. i think i understand re the bumping .. what comes to my mind, is once my question has been answered, can i delete my post, or does it simply remain where it is for a certain amount of time .. ? .. thanks

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

grdnstff, I think you meant Daniel, not Eric...

Anyway, even after a posted question has been answered, it is almost never deleted. To delete it would pretty much remove the main reason to have these forums - to learn from one another.

So, to answer your question directly, no, you cannot remove your post, nor is the question and answer likely to expire from the database in the foreseeable future. This forum "only" has 14000 posts; there are others out there with millions. It doesn't seem to me that old posts will need to be removed for space or performance requirements in the foreseeable future.

Is that disconcerting at all? Do you feel something like that needs to be mentioned in the privacy policy or disclaimer?

4. grdnstff

grdnstff Active Member 10 Years

bumping

sorry about that, daniel .. just curiousity more than anything .. thanks for your reply ..