Building greenhouse

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by anituchka, Sep 24, 2007.

1. anituchka

anituchka Active Member

Hi, I am interested in building my own greenhouse.
    Does anyone know any links on some practical info on how to do it? Or maybe somebody built one?

I have some ideas as to how to do it: I want to take plastic pipes, glue them together, and put plastic. Simple, my only question is how to attach plastic without tearing it?

Also, does anyone know what is the best plastic to use? My husband has some leftover plastice after renovation (vapor barrier, 6 mil). Can I use it?

Last question: does the greenhouse have to be diassembled in the fall? I live in Maple Ridge, Bc.

Thanks

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Make it much bigger than you need. Later it will turn out to be much too small if you don't

Use materials that don't rot or photodegrade (the plastic you want to use may not be one that holds up very well under constant sun exposure)

Use a design that won't come apart in strong winds

Leave it up during the winter, unless you only want it for heat-loving summer crops like tomato plants this is when a greenhouse becomes most valuable - otherwise you would just settle for plants and planting that can be done without additional shelter of greenhouse

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

A very cheap frame can be made with plastic pipes as you mention: as an extra measure, hammer lengths of rebar into the ground, slide the pipes over the rebar, and bend them together at the top, affixed to a long pipe running the length of the structure. It might not hold up well under a heavy snow fall, but it will be much stronger than using plastic pipes alone.

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Think there is some kind of clip/fastener for that, maybe through www.territorialseed.com . Know they used them on their own greenhouses in Steveston, anyways. If they aren't in the catalogue it might be worth calling them, seem to remember the lady said they sold them. And they get some wind there.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  5. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

We have a hoophouse greenhouse built on these plans-
    http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1825/eb1825.html

We modified it by adding doors on the endwalls instead of curtains, and using greenhouse channels with wire to secure the plastic in the winter (in the summer we raise the sides during hot weathe). Do buy greenhouse plastic for the covering; it is treated to slow ultraviolet light degradation. The vapor barrier plastic will probably only last a year or so.

This is mainly a tomato and pepper house in the summer, and we are trying greens in it this winter. Here are 2 images- one at spring planting and one of our sauce tomatoes ripening.

Attached Files:

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

7. anituchka

anituchka Active Member

Thanks for these wonderful replies. The pictures are verry very helpful.
    I intend to grow tomatoes, eggplants and basil (for a start)

8. Drew21

Drew21 Member

Hey, well how big do you need it for. If you cannot build one in the end, I just bought mine at a very low price at Canadian Tire in Surrey. They come in 3 different sizes. Mine is 6x6x8(MED). They have one larger than that size. You put it together yourself. Spending upwards from $1,500 to $6,000 was not in my budget. Mine at Canadian Tire was under $280.00, including tax! They are going fast because they only brought a few in, since it's a new product for them. Hope this helps! Where are you from?
    Drew.

9. Drew21

Drew21 Member

Ok, I see it now. Maple Ridge. LOL
    Drew.

10. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

As chimera mentions, there is a clip to attach poly to the tubing. The local supplier is here:

http://steelgc.com/main_menu.htm

Tho nervous about promoting a commercial website here, I can say this supplier was also helpful in setting up my greenhouse here. And I would suggest that the plastic pipe do-it-yourself deals are not all that cheap, and are a pain to keep going from year to year, compared to a simple greenhouse kit from a professional supplier. There are several good companies in the lower mainland, by the way...I can only speak tho for the guys I dealt with.

And I have to say that having a "proper" greenhouse after decades of fighting the rain in our part of the world, well, revolutionary! Lots of tomatoes out there right now, compared to a field of diseased mush that would be guaranteed otherwise...one of the best investments I've made!